VST Picture and Functions menu not available on two synths

This has been an issue on NI Super 8 since I got Komplete Ult 13, and as of the latest update is also affecting Spectrasonics Trilian: neither VST displays the “Add VST Plug-in Picture to Media Rack” icon or the Function drop down menu. The picture function missing is not a big deal, but the function menu is, but I did figure out you can access it by right-clicking in the Steinberg part of the plug-in header. Also, the Trilian picture and function menus appear after loading, followed by closing the interface, then re-opening with the Edit Instrument icon. This behavior is reproducible. Super 8’s pic and function menu do not appear after the same procedure.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am having the same problems. The “Add VST Plug-in Picture to Media Rack” option is not showing up for both Spectrasonics Trilian nor Stylus RMX. I am not sure I understand your steps that you did to get the picture saved. Can you please clarify? I am a new user Cubase (1 week). Did you submit an actual bug ticket to Steinberg? If not, do you want me to do so?

Trying to get the picture from your steps below, but not fully understanding. Is this from the VST rack or from the track selection, etc? Not clear. Thanks.

Also, the Trilian picture and function menus appear after loading, followed by closing the interface, then re-opening with the Edit Instrument icon.

I did some more investigating and found that this is a VST3 problem for the Spectrasonics Trilian and Stylux RMX plugins. For the VST2.4 versions, these menus show up, and you are then able to add the vst picture to the media rack for these plugins. But not the VST3 versions.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to submit a support ticket? I am new to Steinberg. Finally switching to Cubase after 2 decades of Cakewalk. Thanks all.

I may have just found a workaround for this in Cubase 11.0.41. It is to do with VST3 versions of certain plugins from my experience. I was having the same issue with Super 8, Massive X and Battery. Not sure if this will work with other plugins but thought I would post in case it helps

Firstly, I added the instrument to a blank Cubase project and opened it. If you right-click the top dialog bar of the instrument you may see ’ Switch to Generic Editor’. Select this and you should see the camera icon. Take a snapshot. This picture will be wrong but this is how you get the file name. While you have the plugin open also take a screenshot of the Cubase project window or open a standalone version of the plugin and screenshot this. Edit this screenshot to your liking but make sure you save it as png. Close Cubase.

In Windows (not sure about Mac) navigate to C:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\Steinberg\VST Thumbnails. Here you will see the thumbnail for the problematic plugin that you created in Cubase. Copy its file name and rename the edited screenshot to the same name. Delete the incorrect thumbnail, and paste your edited/renamed screenshot into the VST Thumbnails folder. Open Cubase and voila…you have your instrument picture. :grinning:

1 Like

Heading for 2022 and the problem still exists!!

I never got any forum feedback on how to log an official Steinberg bug report. I assume Steinberg doesn’t read these. I will go to the home page and find out how to officially log this.

[Update] As reference on one of their support pages, I emailed to “steinbergussupport@yamaha.com

I also added slr1979’s work around. She shouldn’t have to go through that!
The following message was added:

Greetings,

I am not sure how to log an official bug report for Steinberg products, so I am using this email. Several forum posters have mentioned this, but I am not sure that you guys read the forums for bug reports. So here goes.

**Phone number  :      xxxxx**
**Steinberg Product :   Cubase Pro 11 (11.0.41)**
**PC**
**O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit**

[Problem]

I am having the same problems. The “Add VST Plug-in Picture to Media Rack” option is not showing up for both Spectrasonics Trilian nor Stylus RMX.

[Current Findings]

I did some more investigating and found that this is a VST3 problem for the Spectrasonics Trilian and Stylux RMX plugins. For the VST2.4 versions, these menus show up fine, and you are then able to add the vst picture to the media rack for these plugins. But not the VST3 versions. From others, other vendor plugins have the same issue

[Another’s Cumbersome/Tedious Workarounds]

"I may have just found a workaround for this in Cubase 11.0.41. It is to do with VST3 versions of certain plugins from my experience. I was having the same issue with Super 8, Massive X and Battery. Not sure if this will work with other plugins but thought I would post in case it helps
*> *
*> *
> Firstly, I added the instrument to a blank Cubase project and opened it. If you right-click the top dialog bar of the instrument you may see ’ Switch to Generic Editor’. Select this and you should see the camera icon. Take a snapshot. This picture will be wrong but this is how you get the file name. While you have the plugin open also take a screenshot of the Cubase project window or open a standalone version of the plugin and screenshot this. Edit this screenshot to your liking but make sure you save it as png. Close Cubase.

> In Windows (not sure about Mac) navigate to C:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\Steinberg\VST Thumbnails. Here you will see the thumbnail for the problematic plugin that you created in Cubase. Copy its file name and rename the edited screenshot to the same name. Delete the incorrect thumbnail, and paste your edited/renamed screenshot into the VST Thumbnails folder. Open Cubase and voila…you have your instrument picture."

Hopefully you can resolve this and make life easier for us all. Let me know if you have any questions. I will be glad to help test this fix if needed. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

BTW, I am new to Steinberg Cubase user. Finally switching to Cubase after 2 decades of Cakewalk. So I am looking forward to joining the Steinberg family of users and producers!

Sincerely,

John A. Brown III

1 Like

Just got an official automated email reply back.

Your Steinberg Support Case Has Been Received: Ref.#02633471ref:_00D30F1z._5004S2zAUH:ref

I will keep you guys posted.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing this and yes, no-one should have to go through my method but as a I am a web dev on the side, I couldn’t help trying to fix it!

Have you received anything further from Steinberg? The only reason I noticed this issue is because we have just updated our PC. We started on version 10.5 PRO and there was no problem with that or NI thumbnails then…Still find it it hard to believe that 11.0.41 has silly bugs like this.

Hi slr1979,

Yes, I did hear back. But only to get more information. On Jan 6th, support asked for an .NFO file to attach to the ticket. I kicked them one out on the 7th, and they replied with a thank you (shown below). I will keep you posted.

"Hello John,

Thank you for the .NFO file. I have sent the information off to our district support and will let you know if they provide a solution or require further information. It could take a while for them to respond, just so you know!

Thanks,

Steinberg US Support "

1 Like

And BTW, the email came from Yamaha (parent company of Steinberg). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I recently loaded Trilogy and Stylus RMX (9/9/22) in Cubase 11 Pro and got prompted that there were updates for Spectrasonics.

Apparently, they rolled out updates in April, 22 that fix this problem. :smiley: You should all now be able to add your Snapshot Picture for the VST3 versions of Spectrasonics’s stuff.

So they got it done in four months. I submitted the ticket in Dec '21. They got back in January, and sync’d up with Spectrasonics, etc. by Apr 22. Not too bad!

1 Like

They fixed it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice one…thanks for helping get that one sorted!