VST Plugin won't work anymore

Hi, I just have installed Dorico 4 and it looks great. Unfortunately I can not use my Vienna en Kontakt plugins anymore. The standard Helion works fine, but even the symphony plugin does not work. I am using a Mac with Monterey. I hope there is a known solution for this. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Is it an M1 Mac? If so have you tried running Dorico 4 under Rosetta?

I have the same problem and also use the Mac M1 processor. In the application preferences the folder “VST PlugIns” is empty. VSL, The Grand and Halion6 do not open, although I have installed everything again. Does anyone have a solution?

I too have similar problems with my VSTs. My Kontakt doesn’t work it doesn’t show up in the preference. same issue with my other VSTs eg those from Toontrack, waves etc
I use M1 laptop with Monterey.

If you are running on a Mac with M1 chip, the application as well all the plug-ins either have to be Apple Silicon compatible, or you have to run everything in Rosetta mode (Intel emulation on ARM).
Dorico 4 is Apple Silicon compatible but many plug-ins (like e.g. Kontakt) are not (or not yet).
If you rely on those non-compatible plug-ins, you have to start Dorico 4 in Rosetta mode.
To do so right click on the Dorico 4.app, choose Get Info from the pop-up menu and in the middle of the Info window tick the option for Rosetta.
Because Rosetta is an emulation layer, overall the code does not execute as fast any more as if run natively for ARM, but it is still decently quick enough.

2 Likes

Thank you Ulf. I have tried to start Dorico in Rosetta and it works a little slower but fine. I wonder how Kontakt and Vienna works via MIDI. When that works ok, Dorico can stay in native mode.

I discovered another thing. I am a user of Logic, Apple’s DAW. That program runs native under the m1-ship. But Kontakt and Vienna works fine too. Maybe there are still possibilities?

Logic makes use of some special capabilities to run non-native Audio Units under a separate sandboxed process. Those capabilities don’t apply to Dorico (not least because Steinberg products don’t support Audio Units).

I have a similar problem on Win 10. Some plugins get recognized and some dont. I wanted to try to use “midi guitar” plugin to use my acoustic guitar as midi controller. midi guitar is not shown unfortunately. It does appear in the list of allowed plugins.

Welcome to the forum @hofmann.niko . Please do Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

1 Like

Hey Ulf,
thanks for the prompt reply. The vst shows up now, probably my mistake all along. I have another issue now: The plugin reads the audio input on my audio interfacel and translates it to midi. In another daw I would set up one audio track with this plugin and a midi channel that reads from this audio track. This way I can control vst plugins with my acoustic guitar. I now wanted to try the same in Dorico but so far no luck. Do you think it is possible?

Hi Niko,
well, I guess not. See, Dorico is not really plug’n play. MIDI ports have to be known at start-up time. You can unplug and replug a MIDI device and Dorico will recognize it again, but only if it was already known at start-up. But your MIDI port only becomes available by inserting your plug-in and that is when Dorico is already running.
To double check on that, go to Edit > Preferences, choose the Play tab and scroll down until you see a list of MIDI input devices. Is it listed there?

1 Like

I understand.
Yes it is listed there. Thank you for your time!

But if it is listed there, then that is a good sign. In the same section, there is an option to enable MIDI for note entry. Is that one ticked with you?