VST Plugins suddenly don't work anymore

Hello all,

Cubase 11 (11.030) is the first version that causes troubles. I’m using Cubase since version 5 so this is remarkable.
I made a project, saved it, reopened it, all fine. While working on another project for some reason Cubase crashes. No dump file created.

I wanted to open the first track again. Cubase stopped during the initialation proces and hangs. No dump file created. PC restart required.

I opened the first track in 10.5. All fine. Opening in 11 failed again.

What else I tried: Option to start without user preferences. Reinstalled Cubase. None of these solves the problem.

It seems Cableguys MIDI-Shaper (and all the other CableGuys plugins for that matter) cause the crash. But why? Nothing changed at all.
CableGuys plugins are 64 bit, not vst3 but 2.4 . Other plugins with the same specification work fine.
And why no dump file?

Best regards,
Karel.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi Martin,

Procdump64 didn’t work. No dump file created. I used Task Manager instead. I send you a message with the link on Google Drive. One file with a dump after Cubase hangs. Another with a dump after Cubase closes immediately during initialization. (EDIT: sorry, I meant during opening of the project.)

Subject of message is VST Plugins suddenly don’t work anymore - 738015

Hope this clarifies the crashes.

Best regards,
Karel.

I have the same issue. All of my 3rd party plug ins stopped working when I installed 11.

Same, I can start Cubase and it gets to the stage after initiliazing vst2.x plugins then drops out.

I have tried deactiviating all 3rd party plugins and that then gives me errors for Future Bass presets and Groove Agent 5 as it cannot find them for the active project I have opened. If I then refresh VST plugins Cubase Pro 11 crashes. None of my plugins like Halion 6, Groove Agent etc. are visible

If I disable program preferences the application crashes in the same place as when choosing to open using saved preferences.

Basically I cannot get anything to work and am stuck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything, ensured I have the latest versions of everything installed, have cleared out the elicenser and reset everything but still no joy and I am now very stuck and unable to work on some tracks I need to get completed

Hi,

Could you attach the crash/dmp file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

I attached one just now but had to delete it as I noticed it is from May this year! There are no other dmp files in there so I can’t even be sure that Cubase is generating them when it crashes on initilization.

Cheers
S

Hi,

Update to the latest Cubase 11.0.30, please. If it’s still crashing, attach Cubase 11.0.30 DMP file, please.

Oh, sorry, you have changed your post while I was writing mine.

1 Like

Yes, apologies

No problem. :wink:

Hi Martin,

Did you manage to retrieve the DMP-file on Google Drive? Just curious. :wink:

Hi,

Oh sorry, yes I did. One of the crash is when initialising the Media Service, the second one is in the MidiShaper_64bit plug-in.

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hi Martin,
I did what you suggested but without succes. Cubase hangs again. This time I managed to create a dump file using procdump but it’s just too big to attach. I’ve uploaded the file on Google Drive: Cubase11.exe_210912_055847.zip https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TL5RNl9qGB_HwTm431nhZ3BM2p41xSDH/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

The crash is in the MidiShaper again.

Please, get in contact with the plug-in vendor.

Hi Martin, I hope you’ve had a good weekend.

Any thoughts on my issue? It doesn’t matter how I try and start it (no plug-ins, default only etc.) I cannot get Cubase to load and it is not generating a Crash Dump file either.

Cheers
Simon

Hi,

If you are on Windows…

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi Martin, thanks for the help.

I have uploaded 3 dmp files for you, all generated by Cubase Pro 11 crashing:

1. normal preferences start-up
  2. disable preferences start-up
  3. disable all 3rd party plug-ins - crashes when I try and refresh VST list as loads are missing

Cheers
S

Hi Martin,

I agree the crash is caused by MidiShaper. But it used to work without any issues. So there must have been changed something within Cubase.

What I did was logging in my PC as Administrator. (It took a while due to not installed updates for that account :unamused: ) Then start Cubase and open the project: No crash, no issues!

I changed to my normal account and MidiShaper worked again. No crash, no issues. I cannot determine what or why the crash is caused though but alas.

Thank you for all your effort,
Best regards,
Karel.

Hi,

Interesting result.

I’m glad, you sorted it out.

Enjoy the music!

Hello Martin, I hope you’ve had a good couple of weeks.

I was just wondering if you’d had a chance to look at the DMP files I posted below a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers
Simon