VST spikes on idle

Seems I have got an attack of the dreaded spikes after loading the 8.02 upgrade (though I’m not absolutely sure they weren’t happening before). Baffles me. VST realtime performance keeps shooting up to maximum even when I am not playing any track. When I do I keep getting audio cutouts. I’m running on a quad-core i7 processor, 6GB RAM. multiprocessor enabled. The disk-cache load meter shows nothing. This is not something I’ve had to deal with before so I have no idea what it is supposed to show but my assumption would be that the cache is not being used, which would explain the cutouts. Windows 8.1 Task Manager shows Cubase’s CPU usage peaking at 5.6 percent during the spiking, with nothing playing, and around 8 percent when playing. So whatever is happening it is not CPU overload. RAM usage just under half a gig. Tried disconnecting my extension monitor, as postings suggest graphics system might be culprit. Made no difference. This is not a large project – only six tracks. Any ideas?

Do you have the High Performance power scheme selected in the Windows Power Options control panel? (If not, you should.)

If that turns out not to be the problem, might want to grab the free Resplendence LatencyMon tool to see if you can track down a misbehaving device/driver.

I would also want to rule out a problem with your choice of USB port. As you have a laptop you may have limited options but I think changing the USB port I use on my desktop machine has solved an earlier problem.I was having with spikes. I don’t know if it was an IRQ issue or using a USB 3 port with my USB 2 audio interface.

Steve.

cakass,

If you’re running Windows, this utility may help identify problems like bad drivers. See here:

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I’ll try these fixes and report back.

The problem disappeared when I swapped USB ports. Good suggestion. I have had intermittent problems with USB on my machine but I didn’t conneect them with the spikes because other Cubase users seem to have similar problems. Thanks for all your help.