VST/VST3 Plugin Behavior In WL8

Hi,

I installed updated Waves v9 plugins in WL8. I noticed VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugins were installed in different folders. VST3 in C:\program files\common files\vst3 and VST2 in C:\program files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

Comparing these plugins in WL8 I noticed a few differences between them. For example I loaded both the C4 Compressor (VST2) and (VST3) and they do not behave the same.

1. The C4 (VST3) meters just freeze in place when playback stops while the C4 (VST2) version meters ramp down. This is also the behavior of the Steinberg VST3 plugins (Brickwall Limiter) that are built in with WL8…Is this typical behavior between the two?

My older Waves version 5 (VST) meters always ramped down and never froze in place

1. The menu when you click on the icon to save presets is very different. Not he same menu at all…Is this typical behavior between the 2?

2. Difference in how the plugins are arranged/sorted. When you click on the master section slot the plugin menu appears. The VST3 plugins are arranged very neatly in approx 10 descriptive folders with names/categories for each and the indivudal plugins are sorted in each folder based on category. This way makes it fast and easy to find and navigate through the menu. The menu is also much smaller setup this way.

The VST2 plugins opens to a much bigger menu with all the indivudals plugins in their own folder. This makes it hard to find and navigate through…Is thier a way to create folders for the VST2 plugins like how it’s done automatically with the VST3 plugins

This behavior was the same in both Windows 7 64bit and 32bit in WL8.0.2

Thanks,

Please use VST-3 plugins when you can. VST-2 is old and not as mature as VST-3.

I have also noticed the freezing meters when playback is stopped. I’m pretty sure this still happens in 64-bit/VST-3.

I will verify later today when I am working. It was recently noted that Waves v9 is not yet approved for Wavelab 8, this could be part of the reason.

Hi PG,

The meters freeze when playback stops…Is this by design? I also noticed this behavior in the Steinberg VST3 Brickwall Limiter that has meters.

Both 32bit/64bit Windows 7 behave the same

I know it’s “cosmetic” but for me coming from WL5/6 to 8 their are many cosmetic differences/issues I noticed that I’m working through. After awhile when something is not fun anymore to use you loose interest. I posted seveal threads on this in the last few weeks and I’m sure may users feel the same way. I use WL as a hobby. I’ve been using WL way back since 2.0.

Thanks,
Scott

The meters freeze when playback stops…Is this by design?

I need to ask the person that wrote the plugins.
WaveLab’s own plugins don’t freeze (but the loudness meter, by design).

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Steinberg built in VST3 Brickwall Limiter has same behavior with meteres. Not sure if approved for WL8 would make a difference since WL8 built in ones behaves the same.

This should not be by design to have them stick with no playback. This is expensive software and to have older versions work properly and not the newer versions is no good. You have to upgrade your OS to work with WL8 and then you also need the newer verion VST3 plugins but many of them are exactly the same as the older ones. Your just have to buy it again. Very similar going from Records to Cassettes to CD’s to Remasterd Version of the same music. You keep paying for something you already own

Thanks
Scott

Hi PG,

The “Brickwall Limiter” meters “freezes” as well. It came with WL8 so I’m assuming it’s part of WL

The actual plugin doesn’t “freeze” but just the “meters say on” to what ever positon they were at when playback stopped…Sorry for the confusion

This is another reason why I rather not use the VST3 plugins which you sugessted in another post in addition to the fact that WL8 is not able to open MS presets that were created with older format VST plugins when you only have either VST2 or VST3 installed on the machine (Big problem with no way of migrating these values to newer platform plugin)

Thanks
Scott

Hi PG,

Were you able to find and info on this?

Wavelab’s VST3 “Brickwall Limiter” meters definetly freeze on both my Windows 7 32/64bit PCs

Thanks,
Scott

Not yet

Hi PG,

Have you heard anything yet about this issue?

Thanks,

Not yet, but this is not forgotten.