VST whitelist and default.xml

I have edited the vst2whitelist file with the PLAY plugin (no empty lines). However, I can not find the defaults.xml file in the path suggested.

/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine

Directories for Library and Preferences are not in my Username directory, but in the Shared directory. However, there is no VSTAudioEngine directory in this directory, either. I’ve done a search and can not find the defaults.xml file anywhere. If I understand correctly the defaults.xml file must have the value “0” changed to a “1”…Just can’t find the file…
(I am using a MAC OS 10.12.3)

Hi Ron,

are you absolutely sure? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you are stupid.
And I’m sure that you are aware that you have to replace the “YOUR_NAME” part in the path with the appropriate user name that you have on your system.
After installation, have you already run Dorico once? Because that folder will only get created upon first starting of the app. Likewise, you can delete the folder completely and it will get recreated on the next run.

Cheers,
Ulf

Hi Ulf,
I found the default.xml file and added the GUID to the list. I’ve run Dorico after that but still don’t have PLAY listed. I have PLAY 5.0.1
(Being a new Mac user converted from PC, I didn’t realize there was a whole section of hidden files)
Thanks,

• Ron

Can you please post your whitelist here? Thanks.

Also, make sure it hasn’t been added to the blacklist file ‘Vst2xPlugin Blacklist VSTAudioEngine.xml’.
It is under the ‘VSTAudioEngine_64’ subdirectory. Not sure of the full path on macOS.

Also make sure the whitelist has the full name play_VST_x64 :slight_smile:

Here is the whitelist -

Kontakt 5 16out
5653544E694F376B6F6E74616B742035
play_VST_x64
565354706C6179706C61795F7673745F

Hm, okay, your whitelist looks fine.

Then, is Play blacklisted? Please check the file /Users//Library/Preferences/Vst2xPlugin Blacklist VstAduioEngine.xml
Respectively, have a look at (same directory) Vst2Plugin Infos VSTAudioEngine.xml. Here all the Vst2 plug-ins get listed, that the engine did find during scanning.

Also, what is the path to where Play is installed? The file Vst2xPlugin SearchPaths VSTAudioEngine.xml shows all the paths where the engine is searching.

PLAY.vst is located in /Library/Audio/Plugins (which is in the search path if I read it correctly)

Here is search file…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Here is blacklist file…

Here is VST2 info file…

Does this mean no VST2 plug-ins were found when scanning?

Right, the engine does not find Play.

But to be exact, the path is /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST where the engine is looking. Could you please double check that the plug is really installed there?

Yes, the file play.vst is located in the VST directory

If that is the case, then your whitelist is wrong and should contain only the entry
play
and not
play_VST_x64

because the whitelist shall contain the file name of the plug-in without the ending .vst

I don’t have Play here, so I wonder where that comes from that some user(s?) say that it should be ‘play_VST_x64’? Maybe different versions of Play?

It’s probably different on mac… it’s def play_VST_x64 on windows…

Hi Ulf. I’ve been following this thread closely, hoping for a solution. I have exactly the same issue as Ron. Whether it’s Play or play_VST_x64, neither appears as an option within the list of VST’s in Dorico even after it’s been added to the whitelist.

Hi David,
actually, I’m running out of steam. If Play is installed in said location and if you have edited the whitelist and defaults properly, then I see no reason anymore why it shouldn’t turn up in Dorico in the list of available instruments.

Have you tried with Kontakt? You can get a trial version with a minimum set of samples, so that makes it lightweight and easy to download and install.

Cheers,
Ulf

It’s odd, but I just checked my whitelist where Play has been working since 5.0.1 was released, and my GUID is different:
565345706C6179706C61795F7673745F … the 5th and 6th digit are reversed…

But I seem to remember that the 32-digit GUID is irrelevant now, so 32 zeros can be used instead…?

That’s right, the GUID is irrelevant now, we are only looking at the name.

But as it just happened, I saw the log file of a guy with a completely different problem, but he also has Play installed.
And it turns out that the file name on Mac is ‘Play.vst’, so starting with a capital letter.

So, Mac users, make sure that you enter the name in your whitelist as

Play

I think that should rectify things and make it work.

Ulf, since the unique GUIDs don’t matter anymore, the defaults.xml file is also irrelevant in this context, yes?

Hi Ulf, my bad - I must have reinstalled an an old version of the whitelist. It works fine now.

Is there any reason why Kontakt 5 should be on my blacklist?

Yes. Actually Kontakt comes in 3 different “flavours”: Kontakt 5, Kontakt 5 8out and Kontakt 5 16out.
They vary only in the number of available output channels.
In the Dorico context it makes sense to use only the 16out variant, therefore we decided to enter only that one to the whitelist.
But if it bothers you, you could edit the whitelist and add also the stereo or 8out version.