VST window disappears when focus moves to 2nd monitor

Hi

I have 2 monitors.
Cubase main application windows on monitor no. 1, with a VST window on top (with always on top enabled).
I’m watching a tutorial video on monitor no. 2, teaching me about the VST on monitor 1.
As soon as the focus moves to the monitor no. 2 (e.g. because I want to rewind the yt video by a few seconds), the VST window disappears from monitor no. 2!
Only when I click again on monitor no. 1, now showing Cubase but WITHOUT the VST window, does the VST suddenly re-appear.

Why is this happening, and how can I stop it? It’s maddening.

Thanks.

I use two monitors as well, qba55. I like watching Cubase or other instructional videos with VST windows open and sure enough, as soon as you move the focus to the second monitor, the first monitor’s so-called “always on top” windows close and remain closed. PITA!!!

I believe the “window always on top” is only a partial solution that is designed for single monitor usage and is an offshoot of Steinberg not recognizing that some people use more than one monitor. For a window to stay fully open no matter what, the window must be classified as “non-modal.” I’m not sure how that’s done nor do I have an answer for you. Sorry…:frowning:.

1 Like

Actually the trick is to turn off the Always on Top.

When AOT is enabled the Widow is seen as a ‘child’ (sorry don’t know the proper Windows term) of the main Cubase Window, much the same as a Window that opens for file selection might be. Any window like this will disappear when the focus shifts to a different program. The problem you are seeing is not related to the 2nd monitor. It is caused because the focus has shifted to another program - probably the browser you are watching the video in. But if you turn off AOT then it becomes just like a normal Windows window - it will even have its own tab on the W10 taskbar. Of course now it can also be hidden behind another window - just like regular windows. But it also will not disappear when you shift focus to another program. Just make sure to move it to someplace that won’t get hidden by another window. And if it is behind another window you can click on it’s Taskbar Tab to bring it to the front.

1 Like

Can confirm, switch off Always On Top, it’s for one monitor setup and also small plugins. With huge Cubase plugins like nowadays, it’s inconvenient.
Also there is option in Key Preferences to switch between plugin windows and close all plugins windows, also you can open all VST-FX by clicking Alt + Shift + Edit(edit icon)

Thanks, Roger. I’ll have to give that a try. It defies the logic behind the message “Always on top” but I’ve never thought coders were in touch with the real world.

1 Like

The following post describes my issue perfectly, but offers no solution. I have turned off “always on top” to no avail. The VST only appears if I first click the Project window, but as soon as I select another program (MS Edge, for ex., to type this post, the VST window disappears. Is it simply not possible to keep a VST window visible in this scenario? (Cubase 12/Win 10)

VST window disappears when focus moves to 2nd monitor - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Thanks,
Randy

It does have the solution, in the second reply. I’ll merge this with that.

On my system, the window does in fact disappear as soon as I click outside of Cubase. The VST is not hiding behind another window. IOW, this solution does not appear to work on my system. (Always on top" is unchecked in Preferences. Is there another setting I’m missing?
Thanks

In Cubase, this is, and always has been, a mess.

It needs Steinberg to sort this out properly. I want all my Cubase windows and child windows to stay right where they are, and maintain their visibility wherever I click on my multiscreen setup, including on other monitors, and on other applications, or indeed just the desktop.

The current situation is entirely unhelpful in many scenarios, including running tutorials on another monitor, and running other apps on another monitor (common on a multiscreen system).

If you turn off ‘Always on top’, then the Edit Channel window and VST windows can disappear behind the main project window or mix console windows. Even more confusing, to get them back, often you have to click the channel edit or vst button twice - once to ‘close’ the window you can’t even see, and then a second click to open it up again on top of everything else.

I don’t want my Cubase child windows becoming ‘their own applications’ on the task bar. Surely Steinberg should be able to control all these windows and maintain the heirachy in line with how I open and position them on my screen, and maintain that visible logic when I click on other monitors and applications?

Seems like a basic requirement.

It’s been like it is now for far too long.

@steve:
It seems like this topic has not yet been solved since I’m still having the issue? Or am I misunderstanding something? Also, @SIedDriver’s post suggests it remains a Steinberg issue? In the meantime any workarounds would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

If there were any workarounds, I’d be using them, now into my third decade with the product.

Sorry, didn’t mean Preferences but instead on the Window itself.

1 Like

@raino - Bingo! That actually did it! It is certainly obscure* and non-intuitive to an extreme, but by golly, I can do what I want now. And that’s the name of the game.
Thanks very much

It seems that this varies from one plugin to another.
Kontakt 7 doesn’t seem to have this feature (unless it’s hidden somewhere else on the screen??)