VSTLink

Anybody using this?

The concept is great, it should be using Ethernet.

I’ve been using it for a long while now (Several years) and it works great, even better since Cubendo 5 where the video scrub/scroll was improved to real time. Previously if you were running video on the secondary system the picture would not scroll/scrub simultaneously while using the jog wheel to locate, rather it would catch up once you stopped scrolling. Now it is simultaneous and smooth as butter.
As for Ethernet being better, not so sure, maybe, but not necessarily for my setup. At the moment I am running Nuendo 5 32 and 64 on Win 7/64 using a Tascam DM4800 via their Firewire Interface that gives me 32 I/O for Nuendo while simultaneously connecting to Cubase 5/32 via an HDSP 9652 for 26 I/O (24 ADAT + 2 SPDIF) for secondary 32 bit plugs and VST Instruments. Of course monitoring externally eliminates latency issues when tracking, and if I exceed the ADAT 48Khz capability and am tracking in Nuendo at 88 or 96Khz, I simply patch in a FF800 or Two and use the analog I/O to feed Instruments to Nuendo. As it turns out this has been a great way to benefit from the 64 bit and higher sample-rate realm while still having access to my 32 bit effects and instruments without having to commit one way or the other. Anyway, this is probably more info than you were looking for, but suffice to say VST System Link works very well and trouble free.

Hi JL,

Very inspiring story. I would like making a few questions:

• What’s your start sequence? I mean, what project do you open first?
    Is it reliable?
    Is it compatible among Cubendo versions

I considering buying a third computer just for FX and virtual synths (I already have a secondary as sample libraries player with Vienna Ensemble), leaving the main computer only for audio and inserts. It’s always cheaper than buying a new Mac Pro (my old Quad in getting out of resources for some jobs).

Another extra question:

How does the export process work? Is it offline too?

Thanks!

My start sequence varies depending on where I am coming from. I may be working in Cubase, for example, then decide to expand to Nuendo, or start in Nuendo and expand to Cubase. No matter where I start, when initiating System Link I always activate it first in Nuendo (Which I consider my master), then activate System Link in Cubase. Obviously it doesn’t really matter that much in a two system setup which you activate first, it only gets a little sticky when you have a third or fourth system in the chain, then it is best to activate in order.
One of the things I like about this current setup is that I can run the video natively in Nuendo while also viewing it on the big screen via HDMI out from my BM Intensity Pro in Cubase on the secondary system. This way I don’t have to choose one or the other, I can have them both, even if using Nuendo 5/64.
Reliability is first rate, so much so that I cannot think of a single issue in that regard. The scrolling/scrubbing was the only issue I ever had and that was fixed as I previously mentioned. Everything is spot on, no lag of any sort, and it is a serious pleasure to use.
Compatibility among Cubendo versions? If you are asking if you can use Nuendo 4 with Nuendo 5, or Cubase 4 with Nuendo 5, or some variation like that, the answer is yes. Remember, though, that the best combo because of the latest video scrolling enhancements is to use version 5.
There is no combined export process for the linked systems, that is individual. I always convert everything from my Cubase system to audio on my Nuendo system and export from there.
A Couple things to remember: Make sure your buffers, sample rates and frame rates match up for smooth sailing.

Thanks a lot for your reply :slight_smile:

I think that I’ll give it a try soon. The big point for me here is having to do everything online, like I am using external hardware. Anyway, it sounds interesting :slight_smile:

I wish SB would offer something like the protools video satellite. VST link seemed great even before reading the details above. A whole 2nd license for N5 or cubase5 seems pretty pricey for video and extra plug ins.

I do really like the idea of an onscreen picture in addition to a projected picture and not having to choose… pretty cool

Is there a way to do it with out a 2nd dongle? like moving it at the right time?

Actually, yes. At one point I had three systems going with System Link, Nuendo 4, Cubase 4, and Cubase LE 4, a dongle-less version that came bundled with my H4n field recorder. Tons of gear came with this version of Cubase so you might have a copy laying around without realizing it, or maybe someone you know does. All you have to do is register it and you are in business.

Ohhhhh that’s right, I do have one of those lying around somewhere, came with my H4.

Thank you!

Actually, yes. At one point I had three systems going with System Link, Nuendo 4, Cubase 4, and Cubase LE 4, a dongle-less version that came bundled with my H4n field recorder. Tons of gear came with this version of Cubase so you might have a copy laying around without realizing it, or maybe someone you know does. All you have to do is register it and you are in business.

Great, I should have a couple of LEs somewhere (one from my H4 and another one from a Yamaha KBD)

Thanks!