VSTuAdioEngine - "A serious problem has occurred..."

The new Dorico 4 do a start-up on my system, but it displayed the attached note. I have tried to start the engine manually as suggested, but the problem continues.
It seems as if the engine is stopped and blocking something. I can’t even make 3.5 running without a restart of the computer.
I am using Windows 11.
Clip
Dorico 4 AudioEngine 5.0.0.103 64bit 2022.1.12 16.04.dmp (481.1 KB)
Dorico 4 AudioEngine 5.0.0.103 64bit 2022.1.12 16.06.dmp (523.5 KB)

When the Dorico hub window appears, please choose from the menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks.
And that error message comes with every project that you load or only specific ones.
From the dump file there is no reason why at least Dorico 3.5 should not run anymore, unless there is zombied audio engine process still lingering around. So please reboot your machine and then start Dorico 3.5, does it also bring the same or different error message?
Also please then provide a diagnostics report of Dorico 3.5, thanks

Yes, please also note that you cannot in general run both Dorico 3.5 and Dorico 4 at the same time, because the audio engines struggle to coexist, so if that is what you’re trying to do, please consider quitting one version of Dorico and waiting a moment for the audio engine to also quit before you run the other.

There is no problem running 3.5 after a reboot - only when 4 has crashed first.

Probably Dorico 4 has then left a zombied audio engine behind and that:s why 3.5 then won’t start anymore.
But how about the Dorico 4 diagnostics? Can you please post? Thanks

I did test a little more.
New projects seem to work fine, but the opening of 3.5 projects creates a crash.
I have attached the diagnostics file.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.7 MB)

Would it be possible that you send me one of those 3.5 projects? Please send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’. Thanks

Hi @a-jensen , thanks very much for the projects. The only good news is, that it is reproducible with me, so I get the same crash. But as I say, it is good because then it is easier to analyse and debug. We will start tomorrow having a closer look. Stay tuned.

On a side note, from the logs I can see that you are still on a old version of HALion Sonic SE. Dorico 4 also came with a new 3.5 version of HSSE, so it might be a good idea to do an upgrade of it as well.

Sorry to bother you one more time. I am up and running and enjoying exploring D4.
I notice I have Halion files in my download folder. Are these duplicates that I can trash, or should I move them somewhere else.? I’d like to free up some memory and wish to remove any sound files I don’t need. Where else might I find redundant files?
Thanks

@lafin anything in the download folder you can delete, Dorico won’t reference anything from there.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m getting the same warning when i try to open some files. It happens mostly with files i’ve worked from an old “Template” so there have to be something in that file that Dorico 4 does not like. I’m attaching here the Diagnostics file and i will send a couple of files to Ulf (I hope that is ok), so he can take a look at more examples of the same problem in order to find a solution.
Thanks a lot.
Rafael

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-12 182731
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (4.0 MB)

Hi @rafaelv , thanks for the data. I had a look at the crash dumps and it’s the exact same issue. So as already mentioned, we will work on this now.

Any progress finding the reason for the crashes?

Yes, Ulf has indeed found the reason for the crashes (some corruption in the audio engine data that previous versions of the audio engine are able to ignore, but which the new version attempts to read, resulting in a crash), and this will be fixed as soon as possible in a forthcoming maintenance update. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. More info here:

Thank you - sounds very good.
For me I will have to wait using ver. 4 for real - all my works are based on a template started in the first version of Dorico, and updated and built on through all the following versions. I hope to be able to continue this praxis and not be forced to start a new template from scratch and to have to keep track of whether a project is 3.5 or 4 when older files are updated.

Once the fix is available, I don’t see any reason why you should have to change your practice.

Or send me your template project, I can easily fix it by manually removing the corrupt data. Send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.