W10 users: How do you get Windows key to be an actual mod key, when using Cubase?

The Windows key cannot be used as a real modifier, and Autohotkey is the only way to do anything about this. End of story.

There are many ways to do it in ahk, But the script can be simple. My way is this
An ahk script that maps Win+ to characters not on my keyboard. the U-codes are unicode characters codes that I simply picked randomly. (there are like 1,000 glyphs available)

This below, is the entire script. Paste it into a plain text file, and save it with the suffix .ahk and Install Autohotkey. Double click to open the script and you’re in business. This got me 20 extra shortcut keystrokes available, all accessible with my left hand, while my right hand is doing something else. Don’t ask what.

Once done, open the Cubase Key Commands dialog and you will see the characters generated in the Type in Key field when you hit the key combo.

(I am using a Mac keyboard btw, iirc the Command key was mapped to Windows key out of the box. )

#SingleInstance Force

#1::Send,{U+0152}
#2::Send,{U+0162}
#3::Send,{U+0172}
#4::Send,{U+0182}
#q::Send,{F16}
#a::Send,{F17}
#z::Send,{F18}
#w::Send,{F19}
#s::Send,{Media_Next}
#x::Send,{Media_Prev}
#e::Send,{Media_Play_Pause}