Waiting/No Audio Engine contact

Hello,
The trial version of Dorico 2.2 worked great. Next day, when I started it for the second time, the enclosed message came, followed by a timed-out message.
I uninstalled and re-installed everything, and now I can’t get my activation code working with the new copy. Where can I request a re-issue? How can I prevent this from being happening in the future?

Thanks

AC

AC, welcome to the forum. The team here is very responsive, so I’m sure you will hear from them soon. You could also call Steinberg US (I’m assuming you’re located in the US, though I don’t know). They could quickly help you re-activate the necessary license.

Are you on Windows or Mac? On Windows, if I encounter the problem like you’re describing, I’ve had to close the program, and in the task manager, find the process “VST audio engine” and end it. That’s not standard procedure, of course, but I have often had to do it if I experience a crash, and the audio engine doesn’t connect the next time I launch. You need to force-quit the VST engine.

If it happens again, don’t uninstall (unless it gets to that point). Follow the instructions here to generate the needed diagnostic files, and post them on the forum. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=146574#p788066

Hi AC,
the reactivation process is described here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206530004-Software-license-reactivation-requesting-new-activation-codes-

As to why Dorico could not connect to the audio engine, that is a little bit difficult to say from remote.
Dan mentioned one reason, but there could be also others, but it should not happen frequently or regularly.
Next time it happens to you, please go in Dorico to Help > Create Diagnostics Report.
That creates a zip file on your desktop. Please post here or send directly to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.

I think Dan’s explanation is quite likely - Dorico didn’t shut down cleanly the previous time, leaving the audio engine running. When you start Dorico again, it can’t make the connection. 99% of the time killing the VST Audio Engine process and starting Dorico again will let it start up, but if you have problems with it consistently then the log files that Ulf asked you to send would tell us a bit more about why it’s happening.