Wake-up from sleep or hibernation (Windows 10/11 Pro), your experience?

Hi,
is it possible that recording interface and Cubase (or Wavelab / musicplayer with ASIO Support) continue to work after sleep, hibernation or hybrid sleep? What are your experiences?

I am planning to get a new system what do I need to take care off?
I would like to use hybrid sleep (sleep + writing hiberbation file).
Current plans are to get an Intel i9 based Win11 Pro system (i9-13900KF, Raptor Lake).
I am using Cubase 12 Pro with RME UFX+.
Would be glad to learn from your experience.
Many thanks for your comments / advice.

P.S.: no production system / private use.
Am very familiar with PC tuning for audio and best practices.
Its for a special setup, personal demands and now also explained below in the thread.
So please, simply answer the question, if you can tell me something from your experience. I would be very thankful. Many thanks for your cooperation.

I would NEVER use suspend or hibernation on a Windows PC.
I know on my other windows machines, sometime suspend (sleep) doesn’t return and I end up having to do a reboot.
It used to be recommended to turn those off and I presume it’s still the same.
On my DAW and other Windows computers, it only takes 10-15 Seconds to reboot a machine so why take a chance on losing your settings.

1 Like

I don’t understand what the fear is of shutting down the system.

I just want to know whether it works in principle because I could make good use of it in my setup.

If it were possible, I would like to know whether Intel or AMD-based mainboards are generally better or worse. Or - if this can’t be generalized this way - whether a certain mainboard vendor should be taken to make it more likely to work (or a certain product).

I agree with @Paul_Bryce - I would never use sleep/hibernation technology on any production PC. Despite decades in the making, it’s just not mature/working well enough for production use - to this day, there are drivers that don’t properly wake back up, and external hardware (like monitors) that also don’t properly wake back up.

So I just turn it all off to save myself the headaches of things becoming brittle when the computer wakes up from sleep/hibernation.

I do shut everything down fully at the end of the work day, so that I start my next day with a clean reboot.

Between those two things, you will likely have a much more reliable and robust system.

I understand all that and I also have a very well designed system and know a lot about system tuning for audio applications. But that is not the point here.
I don’t record commercially, so I have different requirements than what you would expect from a real production system for commercial work.

Even though it may be well-intentioned, all the objections and proposals for “best practises” don’t help, because that’s not the point.
I don’t want to know what could theoretically go wrong and how it should be done according to best practise. I have different demands.

I just want to know if it is feasible at all (sleep/wakeup) and for whom it runs with which hardware.

And if it doesn’t work for anyone, then I will not raise it as a requirement for the purchase of the new system.
For me, it would only be of crucial importance to know if certain hardware would be required, to be able to include that in my purchase decision.

As a side note: I designed a Xeon based ultra-silent system 8 years ago. It covers everything and runs fine for office, gaming, recording. It’s just that it’s getting on in years and even in energy-saving mode it consumes too much money for me in view of increased electricity prices.

My system chooses the Energy profile automatically (by using Bitsum’s product “Process Lasso Pro” (PLP), based on applications and whether I am working on the system or not.

By default PLP runs in the energy profile “Balanced”. If I do nothing on the device for 15 seconds, PLP’s so-called “IDLE saver” automatically switches to “Energy saver”. If I start Cubase or other applications, then the performance mode is automatically activated, which both activates the energy profile “Bitsum Highest Performance”, but also deactivates PLP’s "IDLE saver ", so that the energy profile does not fall back to “Energy Saving” after 15 seconds of inactivity.

Turning off the device is not an option, then I can’t check mails etc in between.

In addition, it takes an eternity with my current system, because a server motherboard makes an incredibly long (thorough) POST compared to a consumer board. Until it is booted and I can log in, that takes too long. But as I said, to let it run in power saving mode is just too much power waste. I also don’t work with audio applications during that time.

So the sleep mode would only come into play when Cubase or WaveLAB are not running (i.e. PLP Performance is not active) and the computer falls back into energy saving mode.

Now it “could” be that I might want to work with Cubase or WaveLAN or simply listen to music after a wake-up. Then it would be nice if I do not have to completely restart the computer again. Therefore the question whether it could work (and maybe with a certain hardware). Even if it would fail only sometimes it would be fair enough for me.

From other forums I mean to have heard that it is difficult but not impossible. Sounds to me like it will only work if drivers, BIOS, motherboard work together nicely.

So please, for whom does this work and with what hardware, thanks for that.

It should work if USB Suspend is turned off in power settings.

1 Like

Thanks Steve, this sounds promising.

I assume with “USB suspend” you mean the option “Einstellung für selektives USB-Energiesparen” ?

Well then, I’m curious to see if anyone reports that it actually works on their system.

Sadly my current server mainboard doesn’t support such sleep states at all. So I could not make any own experiences so far.

The thing is, your specifications are so specialized and unusual (e.g., using the utility that automatically switches the power setting profile) it not likely anyone can give you a solid answer.

I suppose.

Steve, just forget about Process Lasso Pro, it’s been working fine for years. I only mentioned it because nobody answered the question and wanted to teach me best practises.

The only question is still whether sleep (or hybrid sleep) and wakeup work for someone, so that recording interface and drivers work properly again without rebooting.

BTW thanks again for mentioning disabling of USB selective suspend (which I always configure), I also assume that this might be needed.

I do not even require a running Cubase or Wavelab to continue to work after sleep. If that would be possible, fine, but my requirement doesn’t even go that far.

The question is very specific after all, maybe someone has this running, I’d just like to know as I said if any CPU or motherboard manufacturer has any known issues with this.

I got information now, that sleep / wakeup works.
Got this information from people working with Laptops.
No special vendor or product requirements to honor for purchase.
Solved, that I wanted to know.