Want to reassign shorcuts assigned to gradual dynamics

I want to change the behavior of the hotkeys alt-shift-comma and alt-shift period (assigned to the hairpin combos in the attached image). As far as I can tell, these commands don’t show up in the hotkey customization menu, and there is no warning message when I attempt to assign my preferred command to them, as there normally would when there is a hotkey conflict. If I do assign my preferred command, using the hotkey simply does nothing. It negates the behavior of both commands. Is there any way around this?
cresc decresc

I know this is an unofficial hotkey list, but the shortcuts in question don’t show up here either.

You’re right that commands to create hairpins aren’t in the list of key commands that can be assigned.

You can’t change the popover commands for most things, either.

These specific commands don’t appear in the Key Commands editor in Preferences because they are handled by a single command with multiple parameters, and for various boring technical reasons we can only handle assigning shortcuts for commands with single parameters in that editor (and even then only a limited subset). However, you could add these commands to your own user-level shortcuts JSON file:

{
						"NoteInput.HairpinStart?Type=kGradualDynamicDown&GradualDynamicType=kCrescOrDim": [ ">" ]
					},
					{
						"NoteInput.HairpinStart?Type=kGradualDynamicUp&GradualDynamicType=kCrescOrDim": [ "<" ]
					},
					{
						"NoteInput.HairpinStart?Type=kGradualDynamicDown&GradualDynamicType=kMessaDiVoce": [ "Alt+Shift+." ]
					},
					{
						"NoteInput.HairpinStart?Type=kGradualDynamicUp&GradualDynamicType=kMessaDiVoce": [ "Alt+Shift+," ]
					},
3 Likes

Thanks Daniel! You’re a lifesaver!

I just want to point out in case anyone else has this issue: my language is set to English, so I had to edit the keycommands_en.json file. Changing the generic keycommands.json didn’t work.

You should only edit the keycommands_en.json file in your user-level Dorico application data folder, for example on macOS at /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4. Don’t edit the files inside the Dorico application package (macOS) or Program Files folder (Windows).