Want to stop audio tracks recording playback

My problem is that in the last couple of days, as well as recording the instrument input I’m intending to record, my audio tracks are recording the playback from the tracks that I’m monitoring, and even the metronome click!

I don’t know if this is a legitimate setting within Cubase which I’ve accidentally selected and need to un-select, or if it’s a glitch of some kind. I think it happened once before a couple of months back, and it resolved itself, but this time it’s persisting.

I’m running Cubase Elements 7 64 bit version 7.0.80 on a Windows 7 laptop (pentium dual core processor, 4.0 GB RAM) with a Steinberg UR22 mkII interface.

Any suggestions appreciated.

There is a preference toggle labelled something like, “Record on selected tracks”.

Try selecting (clicking on) the track you have armed for recording and see if the problem is resolved.

Thanks for the suggestion, Alexis. I’ve tried just clicking on the desired track and making sure that track and only that track is selected, but I’m still getting everything in addition to the overdubbed part.

I’m going to be busy for the next couple of days, but will spend a bit more time at the start of next week trying this again and maybe changing the preferences and see if that does the trick.

Take a look at your audio device configuration and make sure it isn’t routing the output back to the input.

Thank you very much, Raino - that’s exactly what the problem was.

There’s a setting on the control panel called ‘Enable Loopback’ which I’ve just disabled, and I’ve finally managed to record a new input without getting the rest of the tracks.