Warning for anyone using UAD plugins + Cubase 8

It seems asio guard 2.0 is causing a lot of additional latency for UAD plugins.

I noticed that although I had noticed a huge performance improvement (asio wise) when changing to V8, I Noticed that playing instruments in realtime seemed a bit Sluggish, even when playing at the lowest soundcard latency.

It seems that UAD plugins have a lot of additional latency added, see below

Cubase 7

Cubase 8

when changing the asio mode to low, it does reduce the UAD latency to 6ms… but still nowhere near the 128 samples in cubase 7.5

I suspect the performance gains I have noticed have been purely down to this additional latency being added…

I’ve been trying to explain to everyone that what ASIO Guard does is increase your buffers for you … Not sure why everyone thinks there is a performance gain. It’s a placebo. However, it is nice that you don’t have to switch buffer settings to go between tracking and mixing. But, as you’ve noticed it is NOT a free lunch.

I thought it was a free lunch… :frowning:

The lunch is free, the glass of water was $29.75 + tip :laughing:

Do yourself a favor and turn ASIO Guard off and sett your buffers so that you have 25ms of latency. Then look at your ASIO load … it will look eerm familiar.

Whilst what you say is correct, when removing the uad plugins, the latency is 2ms, if you turn asio guard on / off you cannot tell the diffierence when playing in realtime. as soon as the UAD plugins are added, that is when the issues start (for me)

for someone working 100% with native plugins, you may not notice this perhaps

Devices => Plugin Manager
There you can make ASIO Guard inactive on any individual plug-in. Maybe you should try unchecking all UAD plug-ins and you will get best of both worlds - ASIO Guard turned on, but UAD plug-ins stay untouched. UAD doesn’t really need to be ASIO-Guarded since it uses very tiny amounts of CPU, right?

I did try this but unfortunately it doesn’t make any difference :frowning:

Thing is, Cubase 7 had “Asio Guard” already…so are you saying that the problem is “Asio Guard V2” that has changed this? or using Asio Guard at all with a UAD plugin?

Both pictures above are with asio guard turned on in 7.5 and 8…
so this is a new ‘issue’ that affects only 8.0 onwards

my point is that C8 has “Asio Guard V2” so maybe its the new, all-singing and dancing “better” version that is actually the problem here…maybe they have screwed something in the update. would not be the first time…

yes I suspect so :frowning:
perhaps not all singing and all dancing afterall…

When you are playing the VI have you got the track in Record. I think to get the low latency and not the large buffer of asio guard 2 you need to be in record. I have not had much time to test but that’s what appeared to be the case.

yep, they had record enabled. but as i say, when removing the UAD plugins, the track is latency free and is running at the correct latency set on the soundcard, as soon as a UAD plugin is added, the additional 12ms of latency is added or 6ms if working in low latency asio guard mode

12ms appears to large, but 6ms are normal since any UAD-plugin adds additional latency for the I/O to the card. That was always the case and that’s the reason why Steinberg added the “constraint delay compensation” button around 10 years ago. You still have to use it when recording with latency-inducing plugins such as DSP-plugins.

Is that a UAD plugin on the VI being recorded or just any existing tracks with a UAD inserted? I would not normally record a VI with a UAD plugin on the track being recorded but have plenty on the existing tracks. I was hoping that ASIO-guard 2 was the answer so that constraint delay compensation was not needed anymore.