warp tool or tap tempo for scoring to film?

BTW I still can’t find the feature to find average time of tap tempo.

ex. Film is playing and I’m tapping to it, in Logic there is an additional step after tapping that finds you a median/average of the tempo you just tapped.

Project->BeatCalculator… This then allows you to tap the tempo and it gives you the average speed of tapping. That’s what I use. You can even insert the tempo with one click too if you need.

Mike.

I’ve tried following this tutorial, not very helpful, tempo is still changing.

I should be able to import a click track of 120 bpm and have it play with my cursor, which is set at 120bpm (disregarding the tempo changes of the fixed tempo)
I’ve been at this for too long, time for a break, I don’t believe I will get the hang of this without hands on instructions.

It’s comments like the above that confuse people about what you’re trying to achieve. A fixed tempo doesn’t have tempo changes, that’s why it’s called fixed. But, if I’m interpreting things correctly, then you need to set the Imported track to “Linear” mode so that it doesn’t follow the project’s tempo (it follows its original tempo instead). The rest can be left on “Musical” mode so that they follow the project’s tempo. Make sure that the imported track has the correct tempo stamp by going into the Pool. If it doesn’t say 120 then you can change this with a double-click. This is all shown in the video I linked above, in case you need to reference it again.

I know that once you get a better understanding of what these different modes do that you’ll be able to do just about anything in Cubase. Also the Warp Tool and the Stretch Tools are very cool features for film. Some things are not as easy to achieve as others, but they’re still possible. Just keep practicing by following as many tutorials as you can find on Youtube. That’s how I learned :wink:

HTH

Forget what I was saying, I’m beginning to realize it’s not numerically possible. I can’t just import a 120bpm click track I recorded in protools, linear mode is not going to fix what I’m trying to accomplish.
All in all, I’m trying to have a steady tempo in cubase, whether it be 4/4, 3/4, etc, while making hit points.

So far I’ve only been able to tap tempo and find a relative tempo, change time measures here and there, and speed up the piano roll gradually and almost unnoticeable in order to make the hit points on time.
This seems very inefficient but it’s all I know so far.

I’m starting to wonder if warps is necessary, I can’t picture a blockbuster film being scored, and the composer using time warp during his mock up before recording the live orchestra.

I have worked for a few composers that use Cubase and I have never seen them use warps. They just create markers for events in their video, then adjust tempo and meter to hit those events. If you are trying to write to recorded material that was not recorded to a click (I think you were asking about that at one point), a good way to do that is to import the audio, and just go through every three or four bars and alter the tempo so that your click matches the downbeats of your audio.
If you are still having trouble with click, there are a few things to check out. 1. Make sure your audio is being bounced from PT at the same sample rate as your cubase session. If you are importing 48khz audio in to a 44.1 Cubase session without converting it when you import into cubase, the click will definitely not line up. Once you get the click into your session, make sure you are at a fixed tempo of 120 before you move the file into your session. It should line up, unless it was out of time when you bounced it. IF it lines up, control click the audio file, in the resulting pop up window go to Audio->Bounce selected. It will ask you to replace, tell it yes. Now open your pool, and locate the audio file you just created. To the right of the file name there is a column called “Musical”. Check that box, and your audio file will now follow tempo changes.

Right, but warp tool seems like it can be very helpful if utilized properly.
I could do that with the tempo, but then there’s still the grid that will always be altered, bars will be smaller or bigger in some places and I’ll have to free write in the notation disregarding the grid lines.
Thanks for all the feed back I’ll keep you all posted!