Warping Question?

1. I have a CD track that I need to make a performance track from here. Problem is the tempo fluctuates a lot.

Whats the best way to get the audio to quantize to the grid so I can build a track from scratch, drums, keys etc. ?

Hitpoints?
Warp the tempo map?
AudioWarping?

Confused here, never needed this stuff before

Thanks

if the track is beat centric, do detect tempo then warp other stuff to the tempo map

The track is not beat centric, just a little ballad. I did the detect tempo and it was off in a lot of places.
THe manual warping seems to work as I can move the marker to the transient.

Question? Im understanding when I do this is that Im just warping the tempo track to match the audio which isnt touched. How wil I be able to track to the grid and line it up if in fact the tempo track is actually changing all the time?

Thanks

How wil I be able to track to the grid and line it up if in fact the tempo track is actually changing all the time?

The grid follows the tempo track…once you have set the tempo track you can quantise or draw in data just like it was a fixed tempo.

Or if you prefer once the tempo track is correct, you can set tempo definition of the audio track and then switch to fixed tempo and the audio follows.

What Grim said. and if you play to the new fixed tempo, when you’re done you can put the tempo back to the original, and whatever MIDI you overdubbed to it will follow the original tempo, it’s like magic.

But here’s something I have come to do instead lately … learn how to play with the variable tempo. That means practicing it as many times as it takes, so that the ebbs/flows in the tempo track become natural. In my mind it’s like practicing with a band. And that the overdubs are more “natural” when they’re played at the right tempo.

Just my 2c :slight_smile: