Watch folders no longer displays notification

Hello,

Just rebuilt the main DAW this weekend and reinstalled WL 9.0.35 on a brand new build of Windows 10 ENT.

I restored my preferences from the old DAW to the new so I could get WL back in shape as quickly as possible.

One of the most important uses I current have for WL is the Watch Folder capability. I managed to get my old Watch Folder back in place and the icon is in the tray and is processing files correctly - but I do not get a notification after the processing has occurred. In the last DAW build (Win 7) - the icon would tell me that x files were processed successfully etc etc.

Also - when I right click on the Watch Folder tray icon and choose Info or Open Log File - nothing happens?

Appreciate any info on what is going on here.

Cheers!

VP

Indeed, I can reproduce. It could very well be that the Windows 10 notification system has changed. I will have to check this more closely.
This does not prevent the watch folder system to work, however.

Appreciate your time PG. Hope to see this fixed as soon as possible.

Cheers!

VP

fwiw, the notifications seem to work ok with a new watch folder made in the 32 bit version of 9.0.35 and Win10 Pro latest version here.

The Wavelab app is turned on and looks normal in the Windows Notification Settings panel.

Can you screen cap your Windows Notification Settings panel? No sign of Wavelab over here?

VP

Sure. This is the bottom of the Notifications and Actions Settings page:

Odd. In mine there is no Wavelab icon at all. But I am running Wavelab 9.0.35 64 bit on Windows 10 ENT 1607 (64 bit).

Will need to understand why mine is different from yours.

VP

In mine there is no Wavelab icon at all.

Unless you specify to have the icon always visible (Windows setting), your icon will be hidden (visible only, if you open the tray menu).

Also, I have to correct myself: the notification (popup box) does works. But you have to activate th option:
2017-02-07_14-34-12.png
Philippe

PG

I have the option you indicate on in Wavelab 9.0.35 64 bit.

I have the icon visible in the tray (see attachment Tray Icon)
Tray Icon.png
But as Bob99 has alluded to - while he sees a Wavelab notification option within Notifications and Actions area - I do not have such an option within Windows 10 ENT 1607 64bit
Win10 Notifications.png
I just complete a voiceover session that had 12 files to be processed via Watch Folders - and while the icon was visible - there were no notifications at all - however all 12 files were produced correctly.

Ideas on whats happening here?

Seems the 32 bit version of Wavelab actually connects nicely to the Windows 10 Notification and Alerts system while the 64 bit version of Wavelab does not place any options at all.

I also believe that if Wavelab 9 64bit does not appear within Notifications and Alerts in Win 10 64bit - no amount of making tray icons visible or turning on messages “Notification after processing” within WL is going to help.

Hoping this gets some dev time because it should be working correctly. Not to mention the menu items for logging etc on the tray icon do nothing as well.

VP

Seems the 32 bit version of Wavelab actually connects nicely to the Windows 10 Notification and Alerts system while the 64 bit version of Wavelab does not place any options at all

64 bit works fine here.

Concerning your picture Win10 Notifications.png: you only get WaveLab icon visible there while the watch folder instance is running.

See also:

Also, do you have notification activated, as displayed on my dialog screenshot?

Philippe

PG,

Here’s the layout over here:

Note: Watch folders are “on” all the time - even with Windows startup…

1. Select Which Icons appear
    Select which icons appear.png
  2. Wavelab Watch Notify = Checked
    Wavelab Notify.png
  3. Windows 10 Notifications and Alerts - WL does not appear?
    Win10 Notifications.png
    Couple extra thoughts here - my WL 9.0.35 build was installed clean to a fresh install of the OS - BUT - the Watch folders settings were copied in the WL directory from a backup. Could this be the cause of the Windows 10 Notifications and Alerts area to not show WL9 ?

If you look at Bob99’s post:

Wavelab 9 should be appearing amongst the apps in my Windows 10 Notifications screen cap (#3) above. (Banners, Sounds etc) But it does not appear for me.

Q: Do you see a Wavelab 9 option (Banners, Sounds) appearing in your Windows 10 Notifications and Alerts area?

Or - do I need to delete the old (restored) Watch folder and create a fresh Watch folder and maybe that will make the Win 10 notifications kick back in?

VP

Do you see a Wavelab 9 option (Banners, Sounds) appearing in your Windows 10 Notifications and Alerts area?

Here what I get:
2017-02-07_18-36-49.png

Or - do I need to delete the old (restored) Watch folder and create a fresh Watch folder and maybe that will make the Win 10 notifications kick back in?

I don’t think this can help.

If you don’t see WaveLab in the dialog “get notification from these senders” (while WaveLab is running), I guess some Windows setting prevent this.

Try to search the internet about Windows 10 notification issues.

PG - That is not what I was asking - that message is what we should see in the Tray area when a file has been processed. I get that. What I want to see is if you actually have this:
Wavelab Notification Area.png
Possible to screen cap your Notify area - and you are running 64 bit - yes? Which version of Windows 10?

VP

Bob,

Did you just create a new watch folder for the first time after reading this thread? Or did you have one working for a while (like right after install)?

I am wondering if my issues stem from the fact that I restored my Watch Folder structure from a backup (from my old Windows 7 system) instead of creating a completely fresh watch folder within my new WL 9 64 bit environment on the fresh build of Windows 10 ENT.

I am going to try it anyway and see what happens :slight_smile: Will report back.

VP

Bruce, yes I only just tried this for the first time after reading the thread. Created a new watch folder yesterday. Had no pre-existing watch folders.

And did you ever notice that you had a Wavelab 9 toggle within the Windows 10 Notifications and Alerts settings panel?

That is the key here - and I need to determine what steps need to happen to correct get the Wavelab slider toggle into that panel. Without it (based on my reading) there is no way to get these notifications happening.

VP

I’ll have to check on that later. I think the app icon only appeared in the Wndows settings panel after I had set all the controls in Wavelab to start automatically, give notifications, create log file, etc. But I’m not sure.

But you might want to toggle those controls in Wavelab, restart computer, toggle them back, restart computer, and see if that makes the Wavelab app icon appear in the Win notifications settings page.

I’ll try to test later.

No dice here. I dropped the Watch Folder completely - created a new one and enabled the options. Rebooted. My WL icon appears in the tray. Processing works. But no sign of any toggles in the notification area.

Too bad - as I did come to rely on that messaging for my work. Also would love to know why the Info and Log options when right clicking on the icon - do nothing.

VP

That is not what I was asking - that message is what we should see in the Tray area when a file has been processed. I get that.

If you have this, then the notification works. Then where is the problem?

What I want to see is if you actually have this: Wavelab Notification Area.png

Yes I see this. But what is it useful for?

Philippe

Sorry - when I said “I get that” I meant that I “understand” it.

Repeat - I do not get any notification windows in the tray following any Watch Folder processing whatsoever.

This option slider makes the entire notification happen. Without it - like in my case - results in zero notifications. Your tray icon has nothing to do with making the actual notifications happen. WL Setup must have a routine that places some files or registry settings so when a user goes to that panel - Wavelab is availble - like it is for Bob99:
Wavelab Notification Area.png
Would be nice to know what WL setup does to enable this - maybe I have turned something off in my build that is causing this option to not show up here?

All my other apps (that support notifications) appear in this panel properly on my new build and all work properly - except WL 9.

VP