Watch folders no longer displays notification

An application does not need to set any system setting to show a popup notification, it does not need to “register”. WaveLab just call the notify function. The rest is under the control of Windows.
Some registry settings can come into play then:

A reference registry key is this one:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Some explanations there:
https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-reghacks.html

Some specific explanation there about notification balloons

Philippe

PG

Thanks - but these links do not have anything to do with why/how an app self registers itself with the Windows 10 Notification and Actions area (Settings->Notifications and Actions->Get Notifications From These Senders)

There should be a full panel of options if an app places itself in this area (Banners, Sounds etc). Here is what is in that panel for Macrium Reflect on my workstation:

As I have stated many times - in Windows 10 - if an app does do not have a toggle in this area - it’s tray icon will do nothing. Bob99 has already shown this to be true and so have you. Both of you have the Wavelab 9 toggle appearing in the Get Notifications From These Senders area - and both of you have your Watch Folder notifications working.

I do not have an option and my notifies are not working. That option toggle is the key to everything here and your code from WL setup must do something to tell Windows 10 to put an option into this area.

Would love to know what that is or where it is so I can check my setup out and determine what’s wrong.

VP

these links do not have anything to do with why/how an app self registers itself with the Windows 10 Notification and Actions area

You make a wrong assumption. As I tried to explain, an application does not have to self-register itself with the Windows 10 Notification and Actions area, to be able to show a notification.

You see some application names in the settings, because Windows automatically register applications that send notifications (this is what I guess, at least).

This is why, I still think the links are I gave you, are worth studying.

Philippe

PG,

A day or so ago - I completely uninstalled WL 9.0.35 (including a full registry clean and every other folder or file I could find). I then created a brand new Batch Processor file and assigned a new Watch Folder to it - and still cannot get Windows 10 LTSB (Build 14393.693) to generate any sort of processing notification.

Either it’s the version of Windows I am running or a problem with WL - but this Watch Folder area simply does not work properly.

While it seems you and Bob99 seem to have something working - I do not know what else I can do here.

Will wait for a future build I guess since you remarked that you have found something odd earlier in this thread:

“Indeed, I can reproduce. It could very well be that the Windows 10 notification system has changed. I will have to check this more closely.”

Hopefully you can discover what it is that is preventing this function from working consistently on all WL installs.

Cheers,

VP

“Indeed, I can reproduce. It could very well be that the Windows 10 notification system has changed. I will have to check this more closely.”

No, I was wrong. I simply forgot to active the option in WaveLab. With the option activated, and no action in Windows OS, everything is fine.

Philippe

Must be something to do with my Windows install then.

When I activate the option - I get the icon in the tray - but not a single notification appears regardless if I process 1 file or 500. The icon just sits there in the tray and does nothing.

Very disappointing for me.

VP

I see that the new 9.1 update is now available. Was there any investigation into whether or not this update fixes the notifications area in Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) for the WL Watch Folders?

I have tried everything to get Watch Folders to display notification when it is done a typical conversion process etc. All my attempts to get it working have failed.

While of course - every other application - including some open source apps and older software - seem to display their notifications just fine.

Appreciate any update on this

VP

No change was done in this area, as no problem could be reproduced.