Watch out Steiny! Lower prices from Apple?

In my opinion, its not reasonable to expect new release support for Cubase SX 2 (downloads and other info are still available) a product released in 2003. Updates from this have been cheap and meaningful in every sense. Again ,you couldn’t name a software company that actively supports software so old. Spectarsonics doesn’t support Vocal Planet anymore than Steiny does SX2.

I just don’rt understand users that carry a grudge towards Steiny over criteria that seems unrealistic to me . I mean you conciously choose to avoid all updates for 8 years, then you would expect someone to be there to resolve your driver issues (as an example) on 8 core cpu’s that were theorectical when the software was coded? Plus you got a free copy of a new version???

Well this is the first time I have to praise Apple.

First for releasing new OS for little costs not like M$Soft where an update would cost minimal 100 euro’s.
Also a big plus is that a lower price would mean less cracked copies being used and a bigger user-base.

:ugeek:

That was (is) my point.

With Apple lowering prices,(Final Cut, OSX and now possibly Logic)
how will this affect Steiny/Yamaha and the pricing of their product line.

And for that matter all other makers of DAWs.

I know that there are cheaper versions of Cubase available for
purchase right now but will these prices be pushed even lower?

Like I mentioned in the OP,
will this now be a price ‘race to the bottom’ like what we now see at the
App Store and Mac App Store?

I realize that some smaller software developers have benefited from
this ‘walled garden’ approach while other larger developers
hate it and have not gained from its existence.

Steiny is a giant but primarily a software developer but like some other
giant software developers (Amazon ,Goog) etc they are also quietly getting into hardware. Witness the new stuff that has recently come on-line.

Mainly, what does all of this mean for us pro Cubase users as far as features, enhancements, on-line software purchases, future progress etc.

Perhaps there is no real answer yet.
“Stay tuned and see” might be the ‘uniform of the day’.
{‘-’}

Each Apple new O/S leaves entire iterations behind with no possibilty of upgrading. MS is backward compatible to Windows 98 at least (over 10 years). Cheaper software is just a function of astronomical hardware costs and single sourced at that.

Logic is $499 at Sweetwater and Cubase is $499 (Apple,single source doesn’t discount) and the hardware/software cost to start making music with equivalent speed is still twice as much with Apple at least. Factor in where you’ll be if you hang on to the same computer for 6 years and your set up is rendered useless if a new Apple O/S is realeased… well you’d better be making money.

Sorry Mr. M. If I were to cite the history of equal access in America as an analogy, would that help you to understand better? Steinberg’s forum is set up in that way. It’s segregated with restrictions based upon what software you’ve purchased. Does that kinda ring a bell for you yet? Segregation? Jim Crow laws?

If I am holding a grudge, it’s not because I want any SX updates, it’s because I want and would expect to have continued equal access to a support source (the forum) where I had access when I first purchased their software - software which still works in my computer, a software whose dongle still resides in one of the USB ports on my computer, and software that is still part of my creative process and continued access to users whose backgrounds extend past the current software. I continue to learn about new product from users in this forum and might even purchase the latest version of Cubase (although, I’ve purchased other sequencers since SX 2.)

Again, I don’t think it’s good public relations for Steiny to dismiss those who are and would be more faithful customers by denying them access to this part of the forum based upon a previously established business relationship. I hope this simpler analogy helps explain what I’m talking about to you. Think Rosa Parks and seating arrangements.

Equal access to the forum based upon a business relationship for monies already spent on a previously established SB product. I think equal and continued access to the forum is a reasonable customer service expectation for all SB/Cubase users who paid $$$. I paid $$$ to ride Steinberg’s bus, but I can only occupy a seat in the back of the bus (and I might still haven’t gotten to where it is I wanna go). You can defend Steiny’s position anyway you want, but if I actually had a beef, it would be having been forced to take a seat at the back of the Steinberg bus… and in a way, even kicked off the bus by exclusion. (Can you understand it now in these terms?)
I think Steinberg set up their forums the way they have because there were a lot of crack copy users in the old forum… but that shouldn’t be held against legal owners.

… Until I got AI5, (which really wasn’t ‘free,’ btw - I purchased a YAMAH MOTIF XF8 for almost 4 grand to get to that ‘free software’ - it was probably more of YAMAHA’s doing than SB’s), I’d still not have access to this Lounge.

btw, I still haven’t identified the best purpose for integrating AI5 into being a part of my DAW, except that AI5 has allowed me back into the forum with equal access. When I have time, I am making A/B comparisons between AI5 and SX2. :laughing: Thanks YAMAHA! :wink:

I hope you understand now what I’m talking about.

Each Apple new O/S leaves entire iterations behind with no possibilty of upgrading. MS is backward compatible to Windows 98 at least (over 10 years). Cheaper software is just a function of astronomical hardware costs and single sourced at that.

Logic is $499 at Sweetwater and Cubase is $499 (Apple,single source doesn’t discount) and the hardware/software cost to start making music with equivalent speed is still twice as much with Apple at least. Factor in where you’ll be if you hang on to the same computer for 6 years and your set up is rendered useless if a new Apple O/S is realeased… well you’d better be making money.

Well the price level of MAC product makes it so that I do not own any apple/mac piece :wink:

But the price scheme of the OS is wht I think would be a good example of how it should be, also dropping support for older platforms isn’t a issue I think, If you want to stay with old stuff it is possible.

Well guess it did not take long:
Logic Pro 9 ($199.99) and MainStage 2 ($29.99) Debut in Mac App Store

{‘-’}

BS

We have already established that Cubase is the best DAW available, why waste 199 of anything on an inferior product?

Mr M wrote: the hardware/software cost to start making music with equivalent speed is still twice as much with Apple at least. Factor in where you’ll be if you hang on to the same computer for 6 years and your set up is rendered useless if a new Apple O/S is realeased…

BS

BP!

+1

I’m sure back-in-da-day many Gibson/Martin guitar
owners felt the same when those
‘new’ 'Fender guitars (and electric basses) with their bolt-on necks
hit the market.

Partially because of a cheaper price they too were considered
to be ‘inferior’ at the time.

I too agree that Cubase is number one.

(we’re number one,we’re number one,we’re number one)

However that does not mean that we as users should ‘rest’
and not keep looking about for other opportunities, directions
and advantages.

As much as we may like and respect each other,
we are still in essence in competition with each other.
That IMHO is one reason music moves forward.

Time will tell.
{‘-’}

Lack of audio editing possibilites in Logic makes it quite useless to me.Just wish someone told me that before i sold my Q5 and learned logic 3 months and then ditched it and bought Q6. But now im happy again.Well the moral i got is that cant just blindly believe people, daws is kinda individual, what works for some might not work for other.Q6 works for me as i do lots of audio editing, this is where its at for me.Of course im happy that prices are lowering, keeps everything healthy!

It would seem MOTU is struggling as there is still no Mac 64 bit DP.
A Logic price cut of 60% can’t be good for Steinberg’s participation in the Mac market.

If Apple gets more of the new user base, Steinberg suffers and may be less interested in the Mac market,
and that’s what we Mac/Steinberg loyalists worry about.

Word!
{‘-’}