Waveform editing question

I want to make a selection (about 250ms) on the left side of a stereo file, and then paste it somewhere else on the same side of the same stereo file… and when it pastes (overwriting), I want it to crossfade the edges so it pastes without clicks.

If I select paste and crossfade, I get a message “the data you are about to paste is shorter than the selection it will be crossfaded with, etc”… so it refuses to let me paste.

How do I do this?

Thanks,
Todd

You need to select at the destination, what you want to replace. If this selection is longer than the source, you get this message.

I’d like the source and destination to be the exact same length - otherwise, it pushes the audio forward or backward and it is then out of alignment with the right side… I select approximately 250ms, hit CTRL+C to copy.

How do I now paste exactly (overwriting) this length of audio in another part of the left side?

Actually, the function you are using is not done for this purpose. It is aimed to xfade the clipboard at the end of the audio file (or from another point). And how much is crossfaded is determined by the length of the selection at where you paste.

There is no good solution to do this with the audio editor (I agree, this could be added), but you have an easy
solution with the audio montage:

1. Select the source selectio
  2. Copy
  3. Paste where you like. From the menu, select Overwrite from Cursor.
    For the xfading to happen, this option should be active:

Yes, I think this would be a big help… Rather than displaying this message ( “the data you are about to paste is shorter than the selection it will be crossfaded with, etc”), it seems that the default should be that it automatically pastes the entire selection - so I could overwrite exactly the same length without shifting audio forward or backward…

But this can only work on both sides of the stereo file - no way to do just one side? So currently, it seems there is no way to do what I’m trying to do…

But this can only work on both sides of the stereo file - no way to do just one side? So currently, it seems there is no way to do what I’m trying to do…

Yes you can, do this:
2018-07-26_10-50-27.png

Thanks PG. That should work for now I think… Please consider making the changes to the wav editing though, as a simple copy + paste with crossfade would be more intuitive, much neater, and faster…

Todd