Wavelab 11 montage scroll view play cursor weirdness

I’m finding a weirdness with the Audio Montage play cursor in scroll view to be not as accurate on WL11 than on previous versions (especially 9.5)
when I want to edit a section, I put the play cursor where I want it, highlight a section I think needs editing based on the waveform I can see, press play till i get to the piece I want to edit out, then when I attempt to delete the highlighted section it can quite often jump to a different place, I don’t know if its a setting I can adjust to fix?

I’m on a 16" MacBook Pro 16gb ram 1tb NVM, 2 wave lab plugin’s on channel, masterig on master channel + Slick EQ, runs perfect on WL9.5, have this slightly weird oddity on WL11

I have changed some magnetic settings which have helped, but seem to get a slight slowdown on occasion. but why would I have to do this compared to WL9.5 as the settings are all the same?

Edit - Scrap that, still having the original issue

Can you detect any pattern about when this happens or not?

Hi PG,

Yes delved a little deeper, and can run 9.5 and 11 at the same time, it seems to be that the play cursor doesn’t always snap to the end of the highlighted section, like it used to on 9.5 as standard,

On WL11 I don’t have “play from start of new time selection” ticked in the play audio range and it’s on “time selection” as was in 9.5

If I toggle “play from start” on and off it will do it (I have to wait a beat for the play cursor to blink each time then it will play from the end) but after a few times it starts to revert back to playing from the start of the selection even though that setting is off

Hmm, I doubt it (zoom in to confirm)

If somehow you can make a small video to demo your case, that would help.

here we are PG, specifically the one at the end, I press the cursor and highlight a section and it jumps, but I am pressing in the space in-between that section, not where where it goes back and highlights

another bit of feedback from one of my other editors who’s also just updated from 9.5 to 11 “When I highlight a section to go to the next edit the playback starts where the cursor is and doesn’t start at the end of the highlight but the settings are the same as 9.5”

they are on a windows machine (HP HP EliteOne 1000 G2 27" 4K UHD Non-Touch AiO with i7)

here’s the same type of edit as the video from WL11, but in wavelab 9.5, scrolling window, with the same settings,

Hmm, at which exact time of your video, things get wrong?

If I understand you right, I think this should be off:

it is off in WL11, thats why I flagged it up :+1: it starts off fine, then goes a little haywire

It’s the end edit on the video, my mouse point is going for the edit inbetween (not the large gap) when I stretch to highlight, then goto delete the section, the section moves which means I can’t complete the edit correctly

here is another instance in WL11 for you PG, which should = the same edit type from the 9.5 video. took till the 3rd attempt of pressing play stop, before the cursor moved to the end of the highlighted section, to complete the edit

sorry PG I forgot to mention, I Get these errors when playback speed is 180%, 200%, 250% and 300%
which are the ballpark speeds i use for audiobook/podcast/dialogue tracking and editing.

But not at normal speed?

just checked and done some testing at other playback speeds, much more accurate in real time, still seems to happen occasionally, approx once in 10 of those edit types, 110-140% playback speed seem to have the same frequency of the problem occuring (1 in 10) as real time playback speed.
Seems to ramp up to around a 1 in 3 error rate at 150% playback speed or above
I didn’t check incrementally above 150% as I’ve had the issue at 180, 200, 250 & 300% and the error rate (1 in 3) doesn’t seem to change within those

also didn’t think it was worth trying above 300% speed as I suspect users would mostly go above that for playback only after that so would be a lesser issue
Podcast and audiobook editors won’t normally go above 3x/300% from my day to day experience, and even then 3x speed is only reserved for extremely well recorded and well voiced material.

also got to test the other editors PC today (windows) PG, seems to be generating the same issue and error frequency, and how they described it just was “its not going to the end” so im sorry for the confusion on that halfway up

Thanks for the complementary info

Hi PG, just downloaded and installed the update, still have this issue with the updated Wavelab 11.10 build, recorded another screen record, but have the mic recording so you can hear the button presses while trying to complete an edit in the montage (at 250%)

in WL9.5 I can complete the edit 1st time

Edit - Keystrokes timeline attached here*
0:00.763 pressed play spacebar
0:01.165 - 0:02.186 left click highlighted section (while playing & scrolling, mousebutton held throughout)
0:02.981 - pressed stop - spacebar (expecting cursor to jump to end)
0:03.022 - pressed play - spacebar (it restarted from the start of the highlighted section)
0:04.350 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:04.534 - pressed play - spacebar
0:04.608 - this time cursor jumped to end of highlighted section and began playing (the original section was still highlighted, left click still pressed)
0:05.540 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:05.751 - erase selected range (my shortcut is 5 number key)

Edit 1 Done

Move cursor from 0:06.005 - 0:06.932
0:06.818 pressed play - spacebar
0:07.360 -0:07.674 left click to highlight section while playing & scrolling, mousebutton held throughout)
0:08.159 - pressed stop - spacebar (expecting cursor to jump to end)
0:08.187 - pressed play - spacebar (it restarted from the start of the highlighted section)
0:08.387 - adjust highlighted section (left click mouse button still pressed from original highlighting)
0:09.357 - pressed stop - spacebar (expecting it to jump to end)
0:09.528 - pressed play - spacebar (it restarted from the start of the highlighted section)
0:11.220 - pressed stop - spacebar (this time, the time cursor went to the end of the highlighted section)
0:11.354 - pressed play - spacebar (highlighted section still highlighted, left click still pressed)
0:12.353 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:12.581 - erase selected range (my shortcut is 5 number key)
Edit 2 done (0:13.351 to end is playback of the last edit)

here’s the same edit, in WL 9.5 (no change in settings) again with the mic on so you can hear the button pressing for edits, plus I have left the master channel processing on

Keystrokes Timeline attached here
0:01:000 - play button pressed - spacebar
0:01.780 to 0:02.770 - left click highlighted section (while playing & scrolling - mousebutton held throughout)
0:02.800 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:03.110 - erase selected range (my shortcut is 5 number key)
Edit 1 done

Move cursor from 0:03.110 - 0:05.040
0:05.050 - pressed play - spacebar
0:06.60 to 0:06.810 left click highlighted section (while playing & scrolling, mouse button held throughout)
0:06.810 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:06.980 - pressed play, cursor jumped to end of highlight section (original section still highlighted, left click still pressed)
0:07.710 pressed stop - spacebar
0:07.930 - erase selected range (my shortcut is 5 number key)
Edit 2 done

I also downloaded WL10, and duplicated the edit again, there is an issue on WL10 too, but the problem occurs less (as in I don’t have to press the play stop loop as many times until the cursor goes where I expect, worse than 9.5 but better than 11)

Keystroke timeline attached here
I didn’t catch the start of the 1st edit, so have just done a keystroke timeline on WL10 on the 2nd edit

0:07.825 - pressed play - spacebar
0:08.264 - 0:08.837 left click highlight section while playing and scrolling, mousebutton held throughout)
0:08.856 - pressed stop - spacebar (expecting cursor to jump to end of highlighted section)
0:09.000 - pressed play - spacebar
0:09.602 - playback restarted from start of highlighted section. (left click still pressed from original highlight)
0:10.060 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:10.242 - pressed play - spacebar (cursor went to the end of the highlighted section, left click still pressed)
0:10.942 - pressed stop - spacebar
0:11.083 - erase selected range (my shortcut is 5 number key)
Edit 2 done

after comparing the 3 versions, I have found that in 9.5 I can keep the mouse/trackpad button pressed to highlight a section, change the highlighted section while staying pressed on the fly and it will always go to the end of the selection, even when in playback.

where as 11 (and 10 to a degree) to get it behave successfully I need re-highlight a new section, and not hold down the mouse trackpad/button,

if I hold down the mouse trackpad/button and try to do it on the fly in 11 (and occasionally in 10), it only wants to playback from the original highlighted point and it takes a few play stop presses to move, rather than at the end point regardless of the direction of highlighting
thats with “play from start of selection” off on all versions