WaveLab 11 available - the most comprehensive update in product history

I think that … at least for me upgrading from the last WL10 Pro build on a current Windoze 10 system … the auto carry over of WL 10 preferences for the audio interface connections produced a ‘default’. Meaning the RME AIO ‘analogue’ 1 and 2 rather than the AES that was selected in 10.

It’s a simple change but I suspect that’s what the posters have missed.

This is amazing—just what some of us have been hoping for for a long time. So happy about multichannel editing in particular, and automation. Thanks so much to PG and the team.

1 Like

Cool. Upgraded yesterday and now checking out the new features.
Unfortunately the CPU usage is a higher than in Wabelab 10. I’m currently working on a master (with some CPU-intensive plugins) which still plays nicely at about 95% (in the green bar at the bottom). In Wavelab 11 the playback stutters very strong, showing 100%. Yes, I know, maybe it’s time to upgrade my PC or CPU :wink: but I was hoping for some CPU optimisation in Wavelab 11. The new feature “Use multi-core” is enabled of course, but I think this doesn’t really optimize stereo montages, maybe just 5.1 montages.

Hi All,

Looking forward to upgrade from Pro 10 to 11, and enjoying reading what you’ve discovered so far about the new version.
I’m stubborn though, and last August 2020 installed WL Pro 10 on my Windows 7 PC (with 8 GB of RAM, Intel i7 quad core) and haven’t experienced any issues.
Looking to hear from any of you who have upgraded from 10 to 11 onto a Windows 7 - should I give it a go? The specs for 10 Pro stated it was compatible with Windows 10, but not with anything older, so I’m wondering if I can still use my Windows 7 with its 18" display to work with WaveLab Pro 11?

Thanks for any feedback.
Tommy

Are you aware that you can use SpectralLayers as an external editor, both to edit one or more audio channel from the wave editor, or all or part of a clip in the montage?

I seem to have encountered this as well, see here:

1 Like

Congratulations on the new great release!

Many of the new features are fantastic and long awaited.

Regarding the automation, unfortunately one essential workflow has not been optimally considered: the Stem Mastering. In the Stem Master you automate the individual groups (as Stereolanes) - which I would do here via Clip Automation - but also the summed groups needs automation. Without this possibility I will probably continue to work with Nuendo and only be able to go into Wavelab for sequencing. I hope you bring this update, then Wavelab would be absolutely perfect for me!

1 Like

So far so good. I love the new features. Downloaded it yesterday and started learning what it could do. Congrats PG and the “team”. Nice update!!! I did have some problems with the installation in that it would not automatically authorize my computer. I finally did it manually but over all very pleased.

Congrats on the new version! Lots of awesome new features. Now WaveLab is really complete! Thanks for everything!

Thank you guys, very much appreciated!

I’ve just dived in there and upgraded on day 2. If it’s buggy I can still use Wavelab Pro 10 after all. Nice new green desktop icon!

Yes, thank you PG, and it is usable the way it is, but I wasn’t clear and maybe I’m a bit greedy and dreaming of UI and workflow nirvana, lol – I was hoping for full ARA support by now or some other kind of even closer integration, which I didn’t see in the update.

Honestly, I think that all the tools and workflows and GUIs across Nuendo, WL, SL, Dorico, etc., need to be better integrated at Steinberg in general, better than what Steinberg is currently doing, and better than ARA TBH, since each app has different roots/development teams, but still not a single cohesive and consistent design language and UI paradigm. It’s been improving, but we’re not there yet. And yes, it’s good they work together to the extent that they do, but it would be GREAT if Steinberg had a unifying design specification that brought them all into better alignment with a unified user experience, and allowed a level of integration and usability standard at a minimum of ARA 2 and hopefully better across all these products. But that’s just the ideal, and obviously you’ve all been working toward better integration. I wish there was a guy at Steinberg who would internally champion better unification and build out a detailed roadmap of agreed standardized user experience and integration goals across all products. And if that guy already exists, I wish all the various teams would listen to him and get on board with everything.

I understand there’s enormous complexity with that, massive legacy code and probably very different frameworks behind the development of each app, not to mention totally different teams with different trajectories and business plans, and probably different kinds of contracts in place (i.e. SL seems “distributed” or “published” by Steinberg vs. the in-house team of Nuendo, for example). I should be grateful the apps work together as well as they do, right? :wink:

And while you’re at it, Linux support would be nice too. (I mean I can dream, right?)

But anyway, congrats again and I will absolutely be upgrading after the first patch. Thank you for your excellent work and please do keep up with the “casting” market needs. Pro-level “casting” projects have exploded in recent years and Wavelab looks like it’s got some great tools now in that area, yes even the RSS feed generation stuff IMO! :smiley:

3 Likes

it IS buggy.
When I first startetd it I could see the GUI and after i pressed play it just dissappeared without any errors and i was back on the desktop.
My trust is gone for now…but hey its brand new and I am sure it is only a matter of weeks to be stable…i hope.
And don’t get me startet with the effin’ eLicenser…

Maybe a problem with imported preferences. I recommend trashing the old audio connection preferences to make new ones (folder \Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\Presets\Audio Connections)

Alright! Makes sense!
Thanks!
Will give it a shot.
But why did WL11 ask me if I would like to import the prefs from WL10?
Just wondering if that is not working or MY setup is bad…

Normally this works… but there are so many preferences, there is always a risk of a conflict.

1 Like

I am wracking my brains trying to see if the multi-core processor box is enabled. Someone kindly take me out of my misery - I’ve been staring at the preferences for way to long now!

It’s OK - I’ve just found it in the Audio Montages tab in strangely, Preferences!

Dear Tim,
I just upgraded from WL10 to 11 last night and I didn’t get a licence code but I rather got a download access code (meanwhile I had already downloaded WL from the Steinberg Download Assistant before paying for the licence). I have waited till this morning to get an email with a licence code but none came in. With any other Steinberg product I purchase, I always get a licence code and I activate using the E-licenser, so I don’t understand what’s happening.

Sorry Tim, I’ve figured it out… :grinning:

1 Like