Wavelab 11 Pro CPU Spikes, distorted audio, then no playback

I’m having a really odd issue in Wavelab 11.0.10. Hoping someone can help me out… I’m mastering in a Montage as I always have. Sending pre-master out through my chain via a Lynx Hilo, and returning into a print track with my standard stack of plugins at the inspector > output tab (GHz Midside, Fielder audio stage, ProQ, BlackQv2, Weiss Deess, StandardClip, Pro-L2) *Used the same software and hardware setup on a bunch of mastering sessions without a problem. The only major things that have changed are that I went from WLP Pro 10 to 11… I can’t get through playing back the track without the DSP/CPU meter in the transport spiking and then the audio get distorted. After a few seconds it goes back to normal. But it’s really hard to work when it does this several times throughout a 5min track. It starts off ok with the DSP meter around 30% (as it usually has in the past)… then the DSP spikes come in and out. The worst part is that after it does this a few times, then I can’t get any playback at all! I’ve tried moving the session from the external to the internal drive in case theres a problem with the read/write speed, deactivating/removing certain plugins one at a time (which really shouldn’t matter, being this stack has been used many times and is a preset for me)… tried creating a new Montage in case something got corrupted. Still hitting the same issue over and over. Also after the issue occurs several times, transport fails to playback. I press play, the play button in the transport flickers and does not play. I’m thinking this may be a WL11 Pro issue, not specific to any plugin. Regardless of the type or brand of plugin, once the cpu load hits a certain threshold the bad behavior begins. I’m running WLP 11.0.10 (the latest release) on OSX big sur 11.6 on a 6 core Intel mac mini. Never had these types of issues on my pre update catalina + WLP10 setup. Hardware and routing remained the same as well. Hilo via USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi!

Have you tried to raised the buffer size from 512 and up to 1024 or more in Audio Device,
about the plugins I don’t have any experience maybe Justin or others chime in here !

regards S-EH

1 Like

And with WaveLab 10 on the same version of OSX?

If you set these options off, you will get a behavior closer to WaveLab 10. But I doubt this helps. Try anyway.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I’ll take a look at both of these settings when I get to the studio tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

Are you new to Steinberg software or using a new computer? I ask because I had such an issue, after building the current control-room PC, with Nuendo. I eventually did some searching and found out that going into BIOS to turn off the hyperthreading features solved it once and for all. Intel calls it one thing and AMD calls it another. I forget which one calls it hyperthreading and which calls it something else but even the other name for it still sounds like it’s basically the same thing and it is.
I’d give that a try.
There’s a long in-depth explanation on the Steinberg website somewhere but you don’t need to know the reason it works, just that it does.

Hey Sven,

I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestion. I switched the buffer from 512 to 1024, and the problem was gone! I verified this by going down to 32 and the problem got much worse. Anything 1024 or above performs great. Mastered my project, client loves the results and signed on to have me do their entire archive catalog. Thank you so much! You were right on the mark.

1 Like

Hey TiKKO8803,

I’m on a 6 core mac mini, so bios is not a factor. But thank you for the heads up and recommendation. I do run PC’s sometimes and will keep this in mind. Turns out it was a simple buffer setting at the Audio device. Went from 512 to 1024 and the problem was gone. Silly how I didn’t check this before. On the same computer running WLP10 and Catalina, this never happend. Never even changed the buffer. Somehow maybe the new install of WLP11 might have defaulted to a 512 buffer. Thank you! Be well

No problem. I’d assumed you’d already checked that but the easiest answer is often the right one lol.

Win or Mac, either way, I’m sure there’s some way to control your hardware… Isn’t there?.. That’s the kind of thing that makes me much hate Apple so much in professional environments but I’m sure even Apple wouldn’t go so far as to not let you customize your CPU performance. Right?

Either way, if you ever have the issue on a PC and you already tried messing with the buffer but still having the same issue, turn off hyperthreading or what your CPU’s version of it is.

Hi!

You are welcome and thanks :slight_smile:

regards S-EH