Wavelab 6 data streaming methodology

Hi PG,

I’m working with multiple WL6 installations over a large corporate WAN to NAS storage. We are trying to solve some occasional issues with montage playback i.e. cursor stuttering and interfering with playback. Out IT staff are interesting in knowing more information about how WL6 streams its data, specifically:

\

1. How does WL6 use SMB ? In order to stream traffic does it restrict the size of requests?
  2. Is there any fault tolerance offered as far as TCP goes? Would there be a threshold for re-transmissions due to lost packets? Or does it just ignore duplicates ACKS and such to a certain extent.
  3. Are there buffering options that might assist with reducing packet loss?
  4. Are there any practical limitations within WL6 that might interfere cause packet loss? One of our testing methods is use a montage with a very large amount of simultaneous tracks to failure test the network connections. We are using a 100Mbps LAN.

Any assistance is appreciated,

Thanks,

Steven.

Any ideas?

My additional question is:What is an estimation of the minimum interval of time between a SMB read request and response that would result in an audible audio drop in the Wavelab application?

We are using a large number of Wavelab 6 installs (130+) but are considering upgrading to WL8. Perhaps WL8 handles audio streaming differently?

Thanks,

Steven.