Wavelab 7 and Windows 8 ?

It is because of that, that I refrain from testing as much as I can. It’s a tool, and a very lean functioning one, and someone else (preferrably the software company and its dedicated testers) may try out the next smooth running version. While I record some more music. :sunglasses:

+1.

I have a business that totally relies on IT - and it’s not my job to be testing anything - ever. I have work to do :slight_smile:

And it’s because I run a business - that I would never be installing a completely unknown OS into a production environment - especially when it’s a known fact that a bunch of key apps (like WL in this case) do not work with it.

VP

In my case it’s not a production unit and everything else works, faster too…

No-one’s telling anyone what to do. We’re just trying to find the state of play. Windows 8 is still fresh out of the box.
It’s acceptable to refrain from readiness testing if someone else is willing to report happenings on a similar machine.
And I didn’t start posting in this thread just to whine and rant as sometimes customer feedback gets there early.
If you got problems let us know if you haven’t let us know. Just don’t whiiiine about it. We don’t want to know that much about you. Whining is definitely for amateurs. :mrgreen:

Well - if it’s a test box - then there is no real need to have WL working on it.

Let Steinberg make their announcement and then worry about this.

VP

OK A bump and a bit of a think. I’m wondering whether to reinstall. I’m also wondering whether it will install. Hm, we’ll see.
Meanwhile, anyone point out something simple I’m possibly missing here?
Done the usual, run as administrator and under emulation.
Anyone have Wavelab working in Win8?

I do not think you are missing anything - I think it’s well established that WL7 simply does not work under Win 8.

VP

Cheers.

Just for the record, Elements 32bit and Waves V8 running with Win8x64, even though waves plugs are veeery slow at first launch.

WL7 32 bit on Win8 64bit works fine
It’s WL7 64bit that refuses to start

Gotcha. Still - can’t understand for a second why anyone would bother with a 64bit version of WL…it’s not like we need huge memory access etc to edit audio…

VP

Thanks again men. And for pointing out the (obvious but I should have known that) main redundancy of the 64bit. I’ll just carry on with the 32 version.

i don’t consider 64 bit redundant
having 5 tot 10 projects open with multiple edits in the undo buffers you easily break the 4GB address barrier

let alone maintaining 32bit versions of plugins just to cater Wavelab while Cubase on the same DAW is using them all in 64bit.

So again 64bit might be not so interesting for you, but for others it’s very compelling

I have had 20 projects open and have never ever came close to the kind of RAM you are talking about.

I think if WL actually chewed up 4GB of RAM - PG would be embarrassed. WL has always been a very efficient app in my mind.

VP

The first 4gb is shared with the system, i guess you’re happy swapping to disk, i’m not
Ofcourse one will never get out of memory errors, but i prefer a tactile snappy realtime system, no matter what i action or undo.
At the end of the day WL7 is a current product, available in both 32 and 64 bit format.
If one buys a new system now, this system will be shipped with Win8. If one orders a new WL package now, one ould expect that to run. Steinberg is late on compatibillity testing and delivering a statement / update
Earlier this year it was confirmed by PG, that if there were compatibillity issues, these would be solved before Win8 was released, guess what?!? Their not…

There will be soon a solution to run the 64 bit version under Windows 8.

Thnx PG, All i needed to know for now, can work with 32 bit in interim so will patiently wait for the update.

If one were to buy Wavelab at the same time as any new OS was released then I would expect the buyer to do the requisite research on pitfalls or I would wonder at his competence to actually use Wavelab. It’s not exactly a kiddies toy.
They’re not… fixed. I’m not surprised something goes wrong in computerland now and again and I wouldn’t really go full on whining mode until at least next year.

:mrgreen: 32 bit will do. If I had that many undo buffers I’d be seriously unable to function and lose the will to live.

I have to agree. I also have to re-iterate that in the software world - especially in the pro-audio sphere - does not revolve around Microsoft’s schedule. That they suddenly “decided” to roll out another OS - does not mean that every developer on the planet has to instantly comply.

And the “what if I buy a new PC” angle simply does not fly - it implies that audio pros would be buying some two-bit off the shelf laptop for serious work. It makes no sense that anyone intent on using a highly specialized application such as Wavelab 7 would ever be buying their “work” machine at Best Buy Or Dell or HP with Windows 8 pre-loaded. Anyone that I know that actually uses Wavelab in any capacity simply does not do this. It’s always a Mac or a highly customized Windows PC for studio/editing/post work.

Anyone who uses Wavelab in a professional, day-to-day, “I am earning money with this serving customers” workflow - certainly would never seriously compromise their work (and workflow) by bulking down all their workstations and immediately moving to the untested and untried Windows 8.

Any forward thinking professional would already know they have a working Wavelab 7 and a wonderfully bulletproof (and stable) OS in Windows 7. Which is fully supported by Wavelab 7.

Finally - am I the only guy out there that actually reads the system requirements for my software and uses them within those requirements until other new requirements become available? (like when PG (or Steinberg) specifically (and clearly) states that a specific OS is now supported?

Even if I had a shred of interest in trying Windows 8 (which I don’t) - I do not believe my first move would be to hop on a software forum demanding to know why Wavelab does not work with it - and WHEN it will be fixed.
By simply reading the specs - I already know it’s not supported - so I have my answer.

I guess I still put my trust in the vendor/developer to let me know when it will work.

VP

It wasn’t sudden, and it wasn’t some kind of whimsical release that took everybody by surprise. It’s a major release that every developer has had access to for several months. I ensured that the software that I develop and release (1000 downloads a month) was tested on Windows 8 from April this year. If I can do it as a sole developer, I’m sure Steinberg can.