WaveLab 7 / Reaper FEATURE in Cubase 6

Perhaps some people just don’t hear it, I know other people have it though, because I’ve purposely watched Youtube videos of people working with audio. What I do is wait for them to play a section of audio and when they press stop I’m listening for the pop / click.

I know that Ableton 7 used to have a filter in the program, because I could hear the click, but it was filtered off, so it was a smoother click, rather than a sharp unattractive pop that is wrecking my monitors!

In Ableton 8 you don’t even hear the filter, if I press stop on recorded audio material (Sub Bass) it stops without a click.

I know they have a filter in my Korg M3. Because I can hear it working on sub kicks etc

Last night I downloaded Waves Broadcast bundle, which included a plugin called X Crackle, which is basically for restoration. Anyway, I played with the settings and was able to smooth off the click, but it’s still audible.

I want Steinberg to include this stop / start - Tiny Fade option, they must know what it is I’m talking about, It’s not a figment of my imagination.

+1 on this! I have noticed a few songs that were turned into audio files and with no eq or effects, certain tracks that have low frequency’s with a pop on start and stop. BTW, this has been plagued with me since CB 5. I hope this gets some looking into from the developers. I would have said something about this along time ago, but since I upgraded to C6 I haven’t encountered this as much.

EXAMPLE

Those are standard fades, the pink chopped up audio has faded sections to smooth the edits. Same for the blue audio, it’s using standard fades.

The Tiny Fade would come into action whenever you press stop and start. So it differs from standard fades!

I’m saying this because I don’t want people to get the two types of fades mixed up.

This is what a user called audio_link posted on Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:56 pm In the Ableton forums

MY PLEAD TO MAKE A GREAT PROGRAM JUST PERFECT!: A clip should automatically play out to the next zero crossing when it is stopped or it’s midi key is released. This might sound like a loss of control, but the length of time the clips would continue is miniscule.
I’ve read a few posts relating to clicks and pops and despite some people’s fears and insecurities, I can assure you that these problems are NOT hardware related. Clicks and Pops when clips launch and stop are caused by not trimming the clip to start at a zero crossing (where audio pressure is neither positive nor negative). Solving noises at the start of the clip is easy… Just start the clip at a zero crossing. The problem comes when you release or stop the cue. Moving quickly between clips, instead of allowing them to play all the way out to a zero point, produces an audible pop because the clips themselves are being stopped during a period of compression or rerefraction.
The maximum time needed to get to the next zero crossing will only ever be 1/4 of a wavelength A Sine wave at 2K would play out a maximum of 0.125ms! Even at 50Hz the time would only be 5ms.

Unless of course it’s a stereo clip, then it may not have a zero crossing point at all!

Is this a problem when played/stopped from the arrange page or from within an editor or both?

Well, you could just let the left and right channels end individually couldn’t you? And that’s probably the big problem with the play to zero crossing as a solution. Since the audio has to be faded individually for each channel of every track pre inserts (to be able to hear time based effects, like delay tails, on stop) it surely will put extra load on the processor, ironically, it might even create an Asio overload “pop” on start/stop for heavier projects. It could also lead to very interesting situations, what about rectified signals, or massive dc-offsets? Ok not very likely maybe but still a possibility.

I’d say that the auto fade would be the simplest solution, it still has to be performed individually on every single track but would probably not be as resource heavy.

/A

Both.

I know some people say they don’t get it, but there is a logical reason behind it happening.

It doesn’t have to apply an individual fade to every track. The fade becomes a part of the system.

I agree, I personally dont seem to suffer this problem but I can imagine it dam annoying if you do.

DC Offset would look like the above picture, and the pop from DC offset is because the blue line is not at 0db.

Now in the above picture - If you start from where the cursor is you are affectively creating the same affect as DC Offset, because you’re not starting at 0db. Which is what causes the pop or click.

That is how an edit would look, and thats why you would manually apply a fade to the front and end of the clip, to hide the fact your not starting at 0db or a zero crossing point.

Well yes of course it will be a part of the system, but the processing must take place on the individual audio streams before going into the mixer.
Or do you mean that the fade would be done directly on the mix bus/control room outs? If so, that’s a quick and dirty soution yes but not as flexible, I’d rather have no feature at all than a half hearted one.

/A

Is there anyway somebody from Steinberg can respond ?

What about making the “Snap to Zero Crossing” work when playback is stopped? That would take care of the issue. It would only move the cursor a tiny amount … not really audible.

I’m surprised it doesn’t do it anyway when activated.

Best

Lee

Yeah I’ve tried it mate. No luck. I’m just trying to figure out why some get it and others don’t.

The spike is visible on the Waves X crackle plugin. As soon as I press stop I can see the spike appear.

Thanks

This would work only if you would have 1 mono track in your project and nothing more…

- YouTube Better video

I made a YouTube video so you can hear what I’m talking about in Cubase

This is showing you what happens with and without Tiny Fades in Reaper.

Well that’s super proof it can be annoying to hear. Hopefully the big guns hear your plea. :slight_smile:

Yeah it drives me crazy.

I wish somebody knew why! definitely need some advice!

It sounds like a contradiction, because in my previous posts I’m saying this is why it happens, but now people are saying
their not getting the problem. I’m thinking perhaps it is just me.