WaveLab 8.5 x64 weird crashing

Hello All - This is my 1st post

For the past (2) years I have used WL Elements 8 for basic editing, compilation of podcasts, music/sound tracks. I purchased licenses for a desktop and a laptop. The work sessions sometimes go all night. The point is this: During the many work sessions, not once did Windows 7 or 8.1 cause WLE8 to crash; this is not true with Windows 10.

It seems like the crashing started about (3) weeks ago and I have had to reproduce work. I used Visual Studio 2013 to capture the crash data and each report states:
“Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.”
The info basically confirms that OneDrive is the culprit.

For me, the best fix was to completely remove OneDrive from the OS. Since removing that AppPackage, I tried my best to crash-out WLE 8. Thankfully, the Steinberg software is as sturdy as ever.

When I am really busy, I hate the idea of another learning curve. But since we do not live in a perfect world, I did the research over this past weekend and got a simple .bat file to completely remove OneDrive. It is the text file that I uploaded as an attachment. If anyone wants to use it, like always - be sure and back up your existing system image for good insurance.

The attachment is only a text file. I must be saved as a .bat and run in an elevated command. I put a couple more notes in the file to help as necessary. Actually, I’d copy/paste the code into a fresh text document and then save it as a .bat. When opened, you can read each line of code and see that it is safe.

Furthermore, I have made other commands for use in Powershell to remove other AppPackages out of Windows 10 that provided no value to me like Xbox, Maps, and all the other BS that Win10 came packed with. If anyone is interested, please reply and I’ll make a list of the commands.

Regards,
Ryan

I do not see the attachment I uploaded and I checked the attachment control panel - not there either.

Take the below information and copy/paste into a Notepad text file, save it as a .bat

Run it under an elevated command.

Here’s the code to remove OneDrive from Windows 10:

@echo off
cls

set x86=“%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe”
set x64=“%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe”

echo Closing OneDrive process.
echo.
taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe > NUL 2>&1
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Uninstalling OneDrive.
echo.
if exist %x64% (%x64% /uninstall) else (%x86% /uninstall)
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Removing OneDrive leftovers.
echo.
rd “%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive” /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd “C:\OneDriveTemp” /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive” /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd “%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft OneDrive” /Q /S > NUL 2>&1

echo Removing OneDrive from the Explorer Side Panel.
echo.
REG DELETE “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}” /f > NUL 2>&1
REG DELETE “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}” /f > NUL 2>&1

pause

While this seems like a good stopgap measure - for now - you may be setting yourself up for more unknowns in the future as Microsoft force feeds you more updates without your consent.

As was the case with many of us removing those Windows updates from this past summer for Win 7 that placed all the “Get WIndows 10” crap on our drives - it was all replace over and over again as MS found new ways to detect it was missing.

I have no doubt that ongoing changes to Windows 10 - especially this big Threshold 2 update coming soon will place OneDrive right back on any machine that has it removed.

This is one huge reason why Windows 10 won’t see action here anymore. I can’t have OS changes killing my key apps when I need them most.

VP

I just ran into the same problem last week. I was using Wavelab 8.5 64 bit. I did a system restore to before the last Microsoft upgrade and reinstalled Wavelab and it worked. When the windows upgrade came it stopped again. I can still use Wavelab 8.0 64 bit or 8.5 32 bit but really want 8.5 64 bit. I also tried upgrading to 8.5.30 but had the same problem. I do hope the fix comes soon.

@RKnowles, thanks for the tip on how to remove OneDrive (or, as I like to call it, “NSA’s Little Helper”), but as Bruce points out, today is “Patch Tuesday” so who knows what Microsoft will rain down upon my computer (well, actually, it’s now their computer, isn’t it?)

I know this isn’t Steinberg’s fault but perhaps an email notification could go out to registered users when this sort of thing happens? (Perhaps there’s already a list and I’m not subscribed to it). Spent all morning so far cleaning up my PC and uninstalling/reinstalling Wavelab 8.5.30/64 - guess I should have come here first!
One tip though for 64-bit users - when I right-click the shortcut and run it as Administrator, it works!
Cheers, Paul

@RKnowles, you instructions on how to remove OneDrive have worked! WaveLab 8.5 on W10x64 is now back in action. Many thanks again!

A hotfix addressing this issue has just been released:

WaveLab 8.5. download page

Cheers,

Georg

Just for information, I installed all updates offered today (November 2015 patch Tuesday) and following RKnowles fix, OneDrive was not reinstalled by the updates and WaveLab 8.5.30x64 is still working, so that’s another option (after all, the hotifx comes with the warning “Please note that hotfixes do not go through the complete testing process. Technical support cannot be granted and installation is done at your own risk.”

Thanks nevertheless PG and Steinberg for the fix.

Good to know. Still - getting burned just once - especially in a Saturday was enough for me.

I will be dumping Win 10 this Friday and getting back to a rock solid Win 7 environ where I can control the update process a little more closely.

VP

I read somewhere that Windows 10 is going to become a “recommended” update at some stage in the not too distant future so you you’d better keep your Windows 7 rig off the internet too!

Here’s where I read it: WIndows 10 will become a recommended update

I read another article saying the same thing, prompting me to change our Win 7 automatic updates from “Recommended” to “Important” updates only. Does Windows 10 itself have the option to change from “Recommended” to “Important”, and would that have kept the OneDrive problem from installing?

I have Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 Home doesn’t give you any options at all) and I had it set to the most restrictive, i.e. defer updates – but that only means you can reboot later. If you shut down the computer then it gets installed. I wasn’t even aware that there was an update to OneDrive being installed.

Mr. Soundman - Glad that little trick worked and OneDrive didn’t return

All’s Well on my end after the Win10 updates today. I ran WLE8 ~5 hrs this evening on a project with alot of open files without any glitching. The latest patch is for WL8.5 and not the Elements version I have, hopefully a patch is in the works for it.

If any of the same crashing occurs on your end, look at the debugging data and see if Groovex.dll is loaded. It’s a BHO that is facilitating data between social media, 3rd-party apps, and w/Office (I read that anyway). The file has a digital signature but it’s not a Windows system file. Grooveex.dll is able to monitor web browsers and to record keyboard and mouse inputs.

That is so freak’n reassuring.

I de-registered that driver 1st thing today after the Win10 updates and didn’t hit any speedbumps with Office in use all day and the browser up and running too. So far… so good.

Here’s the command (elevated): regsvr32 /u groovex.dll
For my computer it goes: regsvr32 /u “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Office\Office16\groovex.dll”
If you need to restore that file, just drop the /u.

Good Luck!
R

Hello Mr. Bruns - Can you say if a similar patch will be coming for WL-Elements 8? I purchased (2) licenses and they’re both installed on Win10 x64 computers. I have been mitigating the crashing by ‘improving’ the OS but going down that road usually turns into a game like ‘whack-a-mole’.

Thank You Much,
Ryan

Can you say if a similar patch will be coming for WL-Elements 8?

There is no compatibility issue with WL-Elements 8, hence no patch needed.

Wavelab hotfix installed - no more crashes !!!

Windows 7 x64 with OneDrive installed (i am actually using it) :slight_smile:

Thank you PG !!!

Anyone who works with One drive ?Office 365 in comination with W10 and WL 8.5.
In my situation Office 365 did not work properly aftewr the hotfix.
Did not synchronise.
Steven

This fix only changes WaveLab, and not OneDrive nor anything else (registry not changed).

Philippe

I’m guessing you uninstalled OneDrive as per the earlier workaround. You don’t need to do that if you apply the actual hotfix that was released yesterday.