WaveLab 9.0.15 maintenance update available

Dear forum-members,

We are pleased to announce the availability of the 9.0.15 maintenance update for WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9. This update resolves some issues related to MasterRig, WaveLab Exchange and Mac OS X compatibility.

For detailed information, please read the corresponding version history on the download page.

Download WaveLab Pro 9.0.15
Download WaveLab Elements 9.0.15

All the best

Thank you for the 32 bit fix

I still get the dreaded question dialog of WL9 Elements for allowing network access (OSX 10.10.5). I thought this would be fixed too …

still get the dreaded question dialog of WL9 Elements for allowing network access (OSX 10.10.5). I thought this would be fixed too …

Will be in 9.0.20.
I recall you can get rid of this by disabling your OSX firewall (which is the case by default).

I’m not mad and disable my firewall. Answers like that make me a bit angry. The firewall is there for a purpose! And all other audio editors and DAWs (except Cubase Pro 8, which also complains - but not Nuendo 7) run fine in this configuration. Seems I have to wait for 9.0.20 then.

If you don’t need Cubase connectivity, you can do this:

Locate the following file:
Windows 9
C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 9\Startup.ini
Mac:
/Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab Pro 9/Startup.plist

Then open it and add the entry:
NoExchange=1

Concerning OSX and its fireware, here is an interesting reference:

I need Cubase connectivity and with Nuendo, when it is ready. The firewall discussion is not really helpful here. I would see myself not as the average user and I have also data of clients on my machines I have to protect. Of course incoming data can trigger malicious and spying behaviour in programs, therefore the linked article is misleading. I already have disabled internet access for my Windows studio machine (still seen in the network) and a second independent network and of course no WiFi. Internet access and turned down firewalls is IMO asking for a lot of trouble to come. Apple was criticised a lot for disabling the firewall by default. As a developer for professional users, you should take care of a smooth interaction of your programs and build in security measures of the OS itself. Other programs handle this absolutely fine and transparent.

Misleading? It specifically points out that if the network is already protected against incoming data (which any NAT-connected network is, for instance) then the local firewall is pretty much redundant (depending how much you trust the other machines in your network, I guess). In any case, almost all threats against machines these days come straight through firewalls in the form of embedded malware in web pages or emails.

Paul
(who has been responsible for security on medical research networks for over a decade)

Yes misleading, because as you know routers are a very interesting target for hackers. Then it makes sense to have at least a second line of defense. We’re talking about one program not handling the firewall correctly and people try to advocate for disabling the firewall completely because of an internet article of somebody not being a security expert, as he mentioned about himself? I don’t get it.