Wavelab 9.5 not reacting as expected Montage rendering:

I will try and copy the tread I started on the fb wavelab group:

I hope someone can help!

Hi Group!
Wavelab 9.5
I don’t know if it is only ‘finger problems’ or if its buggy, but when in the Montage, i’m trying to render regions, be they ‘cd track’ or ‘selection’, or ‘region’ or in fact any other possibility that brings up this menu, i can’t understand what’s happening:
I would like to be able to use at least one of the 3 bottom possibilities- but i cant seem to get it right!!!
i have tried changing the type of montage (multi track/DVD/ etc) , adding an empty track below the existing track, replacing the file with the rendered file etc… can’t get it to work!!
The file renders into the folder i choose no problem- (and for testing purposes even have rendered without any plugin processing (Montage or Master Section), but then sits there.)
I get a dialog popping up if the Montage format is not compatible at least, but nothing more

Any suggestions would be really appreciated! I hope I’m forgetting something ‘simple’ !!!

Justin Perkins Can you show a screen shot of the error message and also a screen shot of your markers tab?
It might be that you need a CD track start as the very first marker instead of a splice marker, and that the very last marker needs to be a CD Track end marker.
That’s all I can think of without more info.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 7h
Hide 11 replies
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins FYI I’m trying to render individual files, not the whole montage…
Edit or delete this
60323065_10159368653844572_1187970370477490176_n.jpg
· Reply · 7h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams There is no error msg per se
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins Jasper Williams I see. Is that all your markers? You may also need a CD track end marker to be at the very end.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins last one is hidden
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams So , it (montage/wavelab) doesn’t create a new track in the montage, and if there is a free track, it doesn’t populate it with the rendered file
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins I see. Normally for the render source I use “Regions” and CD Tracks as the render source. Then I can render all the tracks in one command. Does this work for you?
Hide or report this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins
Hide or report this
No photo description available.
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins could you send me a pic of your options tab- ?I don’t have any presets in my presets tab
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins Jasper Williams I can soon. I’m not at a computer at the moment, this is just a screen shot I had handy.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins so that works- creates a new populated montage
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins Jasper Williams Great. If you can explain your goal a little more, when I’m at a computer soon I can give you more info and ideas.
I usually render either to a new montage to lock in all my processing, or of course master WAV files of each track to a folder to deliver to a client.
It’s not often I render anything and have it put back in the same montage.

Justin Perkins So you are trying to render a selected CD track and then have it put back into the source montage?
I think I need to better understand your goal.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Yes- exactly- using the ‘selected CD Track’ as source, and one of the last 3 options in the ‘Options’ menu …
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams would be such a great feature if it would work- ! I do a lot of work with the master section, ie external gear , and having wavelab render in place, or on a track underneath would be #1+!
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Jasper Williams
Write a reply…

Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams The one function that does work is ‘All Selected Clips’ as source, and ‘Replace Clips with rendered audio files’ selected
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 6h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins But you need to do one at a time? I must say that I’ve never really used this feature.
I never actually use the global master section or analog I/O in WaveLab because I find that doing that part in REAPER is WAY more functional, then I do the assembly and final bits in WaveLab.
Rumor has it that WaveLab 10 will have some nice improvements for the analog I/O routing and options.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 3h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins sure, but this has nothing to do with whether one uses the master section, montage effect ,track or output plugins at all- all my testing has been without plugins as it’s been quicker to render…! Does this happen on your system at all? I’m on PC win 7
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 3h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins Jasper Williams I will check soon. I have a few things to do this morning yet and then I’ll be at a computer with WaveLab to check it out.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 3h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Would be good to know if it’s a Mac/pc problem or wavelab wide so to say…
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 3h
Jasper Williams
Jasper Williams Justin Perkins would be great! Thanks
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 3h
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins Jasper Williams I think I see what you mean. I am not familiar with this process but here are the settings I chose, and I would have expected the selected clip in the CD Track to be replaced in the montage after rendering, but nothing happened other than the file rendered to the hard drive. The montage stayed the same.
I would post this on the public forum to see if PG has any idea if this is just broken, or maybe we misunderstand the concept

This isn’t a feature I use myself, but I checked and it does seem like a bug.

When using the render option shown here, the new file is rendered, but it’s not replaced in the montage as you would expect.

Thanks Justin- Anyone else have, or have not this behavior?

Many thanks!!

I can’t reproduce a problem. Please reformulate the problem with a simpler message and a step by step procedure. Thanks.

Hi!

Looking at the manual:

What Justin and I can’t get to work are the following:

"Replace On Same Audio Montage Track
If this option is activated, the rendered file replaces the clips on the selected montage track.

Add to Next Empty Audio Montage Track
If this option is activated, the rendered file is added to the next empty audio montage track. The original clips are preserved.

Add to New Audio Montage Track
If this option is activated, the rendered file is added to a new audio montage track. The original clips are preserved."

When any of these steps are selected for processing and a render started, then the appropriate file is written to the appropriate folder, but the process then stops there. That is to say, the Rendered file is either;
Not imported into the Montage and the original replaced, or,
is not imported into the montage and not added to a previously created empty track, or,
is not imported into the Montage and a new audio montage track is not created, and the audio file is therefore not imported.

This I have been trying to do with selected CD track, Region or the like:

When I use “Replace the Clips with Rendered Files” option, with “All selected Clips” as the source, then it works, but all the CD information is not copied and is lost.

What I’ve just managed to do is render to a new Montage, but all CD Info is not recreated (ISRC, CD Text etc) This is using “Whole Montage”, or “All Selected Clips” as a source .

When I try and use the option “Add to Next Empty Audio Montage Track” , and there hasn’t been an empty track created, then an error dialog “There is no free track to receive the Audio File” dialog pops up.

it seems all this behavior is also duplicated when I use the File-Export command also ( not just from the “Render” Tab

I hope this helps to clarify?

Many thanks!

Jasper

Using WaveLab 9.5.50, I have no problem with:
“Render Selected CD Track”
and each of the 3 options you mention work.

Let’s take a simple example: one clip is the CD track, render: the clips is replaced.

Could this be related to the case where sometimes, the clip name visible on the waveform doesn’t change even though the file does?

Hi Justin- I checked this, by deleting the newly rendered wav from the folder whilst Wavelab is still open- it is not imported.

Hi Philippe- are you rendering only 1 cd track/region when doing this? ( or whole montage) if it’s working for you, could you let us know what computer/OS and WL version you’re using? and perhaps exactly which settings you are using to get WL to be able to import and create a new track etc?

Many thanks!

Jasper

Nothing special, eg.: selected CD track +
2019-05-19_17-37-01.png

I did some more testing today and it is actually working. I’m not sure what’s different today.

Sometimes when you replace a clip in the montage, the visible name on the clip itself doesn’t change, and I forgot what the logic is behind that. I wonder if this is what you’re experiencing? Maybe the clip is being replaced, but the name is not changing.

Today, I decided to make an extreme change on the clip in question so you can really see that it’s a new version, so I added a Steinberg gain plugin down -24dB.

Here is a video:

Download the video for best quality to read the text involved.

Either you have experienced the confusion of the name issue, or maybe when 3rd party plugins are involved, this is somehow broken but with just the Steinberg gain plugin today, it works.

UPDATE: I replaced the Steinberg gain plugin with FabFilter and it still worked.

All of these work ok for me here on Windows 10 if my selected source is “Selected CD Track”. What OS are you using?
Also, I wanted to ask: In both of your original pictures, “Do Not Change Montage” is selected at the bottom right. Are you sure that wasn’t selected when you’ve done some of these renders?

That’s normal afaik, at least in the case of rendering to a new montage. ISRC and CD Text are not transfered to the new montage. They could be written to the metadata of the rendered files if Regions/CD Tracks are selected as source and the metadata is set up, but that’s a different thing.

Whohoo! :smiley:
I found the Culprit-!

As soon as I took away my non default naming scheme, all started to work!
Thank you all for taking the time to think about this and help out

@PG: perhaps in an update, it would be great to allow files with a different name to be generated and added here?

Many thanks once again!

Interesting. If you watch my video, I happened to use the “Unchanged Name” setting but it did allow me to use a manually typed unique name. I used xxx for the new file name and kept adding an x for each attempt.

So maybe the real issue that this feature doesn’t like when Naming Scheme is used.

perhaps in an update, it would be great to allow files with a different name to be generated and added here?

If random-like names are ok for you, you can use this: