WaveLab 9 Pro seems to struggle with a long audio montage

I’m working with a little more copious audio montage: over 300 clips on a single track, over 4h of total length, 1–2 clip effects per clip.

Opening the project takes 6–8 min.

Last night during the rendering of some clips WaveLab 9 Pro crashed a few times.

I’ve never run into such problems with smaller audio montages.

300 clips with 1-2 effects per clip… that’s maybe 450 loaded effects to load. Hence the 6-8 min time you observe. Such a configuration push the system to stress, memory wise. I guess you are using WaveLab 64 bit and have lots of RAM.
You should consider an alternate approach with track effects maybe (grouping clips that need the same effects, on a given track).

Yes, 64 bits here, though not lots of RAM, just 8GB.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll ruminate on them.

Some clips use the same FX chain so they could be made to share those by being placed on the same track with a track effects chain. Still, that would amount to 40+ tracks which is too many for a convenient workflow in WL.

Not sure what you mean by grouping. Are you referring to superclips? Those are unlikely to serve my needs because I have to be in a position to render clips as separate files.

As far as I can see, super clip (great feature!) could be it if only it allowed rendering its constituent clips as individual files.

by grouping, I meant what you understood there:

Some clips use the same FX chain so they could be made to share those by being placed on the same track with a track effects chain. Still, that would amount to 40+ tracks which is too many for a convenient workflow in WL.

though not lots of RAM, just 8GB.

8 MB is not bad. But it’s not possible to see what is the impact of hundreds of plugins. This depend on plugin.

As far as I can see, super clip (great feature!) could be it if only it allowed rendering its constituent clips as individual files.

If you divide your mega montage in eg. 4 parts, 1 hour each, then you reduce the problem, maybe.

Diving is an option I did think about. The downside of going that route is I’d loose the overview of the contents of the montage.

Just for the a(m/b)usement of it, I’ll try to finish the work in one montage the way it’s set up right now. It is likely to expand up to 500 clips and 6h of length in total.

Let’s see if I’ll survive. I’ll report back in a month or so.

Tip: make 6 one-hour montages, load them as superclips in a 7th montage and you have the best of both worlds: overview and access to each individual hour and its clips.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a try.