WaveLab Elements - Batch Processing?

OK so I’ve fired up the laptop and in WaveLab Elements 8, you can drag-and-drop files into a window (or add them by clicking the green “+” button and browsing) and convert them to anything you want … here, I created the “DVD video” template first:

Sweet! So it’s possible to convert 32 bit, 44.1k files to 16 bit, 48 Aif’s? Awesome!

It would appear to be the case – I created a 44.1kHz 32-bit-float WAV in Cubase Pro 8, then in WaveLab Elements 8 I created a template for AIFF 48kHz 16-bit, and was able to convert the file as shown above resulting in a 48kHz 16-bit .aif file. There’s no option to influence how the sample rate conversion or bit reduction takes place though … I have no idea what type of process is used. Conversion from 32-bit float to 16-bit should not be of any major concern though, unless there are long, very quiet passages.

Wow, thanks MrSoundman, and my apologies Mike. The Wavelab Elements trial is still 8.0.3 (which is what I was looking at), and the Wavelab feature compare page didn’t mention it, but Batch was added to the Global menu in Elements 8.0.4.

Sorry for my misinformation.

Testing it with files against the full version, going from 44.1K 32 bit float to 48K 16 bit, the Elements Batch window uses Crystal Resampler in Standard mode (not the full version “High” or “Ultra”), and uses no dither.

fwiw, regarding the original eLicenser error message, I’m using Windows 7, and I’ve now gotten the error message using full versions of Cubase 5 , 6, and 7, and then opening Wavelab 6. But because this apparently wasn’t experienced or reported years ago with Cubase 5 and Wavelab 6, my suspicion is that the current version of LCC is probably involved in the issue (especially since it’s an eLicensor error message). Older LCC versions probably worked fine with this setup in the past. But I doubt the current version of LCC is going to be changed just to accommodate an old version of Wavelab like version 6. (although someone could ask, if indeed that’s the problem).

Also, MrSoundman may be right about the real audible impact of converting from 32 or 24 to 16 without dither, but I think it’s a little unusual, and generally thought to be technically unadvisable. Seems like an oversight to me, not using dither in the Batch convert if the target file has a lower bitdepth, something that should possibly be corrected.

I’d say it’s totally unprofessional to have no dither applied, going to 16-bit. In my view this should be regarded a bug.

As I also would call an LCC version not accepting an older Wavelab or Cubase version that has always worked a bug. I’ll see if I have time to try my good ol’ Wavelab 6 against Cubase 7.5 on my machine…

Thanks, guys! I just ordered WaveLab 8 Essentials and hopefully, that will do the trick.

As for dither, I’ve never, ever dithered from 32 to 16 bits and I’ve never had any issue of any kind.

Thanks again!

Apart from the dithering issue, which is perhaps a little off-topic, there are a few things worth mentioning, firstly the GUI was completely changed from version 7 onwards, so don’t be too shocked – it can be frustrating at first, and the forum went into near-meltdown at times, but personally I can’t imagine ever wanting to go back to the pre-7 GUI, so just be prepared for a learning curve.

The second thing to mention is that, as there’s no up- or cross-grade path from WaveLab 6 to WaveLab Elements 8, you will have effectively paid for a new license and you still own your WaveLab 6 license on the eLicenser; that WL6 license can be upgraded to WaveLab 8.5 for (depending where you live) about $250, which is really excellent value if you can make use of the extra features (in your case that would almost certainly be the Watch Folders!). The upgrade from WaveLab Elements 8 to WaveLab 8.5 is however much more expensive, so – should you feel the urge – be aware that the less expensive path is from WL6 to WL8.5 – plus, you get to continue using Elements 8 say, on the laptop (which is what I do, C8Pro/WL8.5 on the desktop and CE8/WLE8 on the laptop).

In any case, enjoy! (and don’t forget to come back here often rather than tearing your hair out as you get to know the new GUI) :sunglasses:

Cool, thanks! I didn’t have any problems going from Nuendo 5.5.6 to Cubase 8 Pro, so hopefully, WaveLab Essentials 8 will be easy as well. Once I figure out how to batch convert dozens of tracks at once, I’ll be golden.

Thanks again!

I’ve placed more than 4,000 cues on more than 1,500 episodes of network and cable TV the past 18 months, scored a feature film for Paramount that was released in 20 cities, scored P90x3’s “Incinerator” and have music on the infomercial along with national commercials. None of these were dithered and no one that I’ve worked for has had any audio complaints or issues. Actually, quite the contrary.

Thanks for the assistance!

I installed Wavelab 8 Essentials and opened Cubase 8 Pro without any issues, so that solved the problem. Thanks for the assistance!

A few more questions:

1. I was able to Batch Process without any problems but I couldn’t find a way to create a Preset. Am I missing something?

2. In WaveLab 6, there was a setting to disable the creation of gpk files. Is there a setting in 8 Essentials?

3. Also in 6, I was able to Preview a file without actually opening it. Is there another way to Preview in 8E?

Thanks again!

Click the little filing cabinet icon to the right of the “File Format” drop-down.

Options | Audio file editing preferences | Editing | Save in an independent folder.

Turn on the File Browser window.

… and most importantly, click the question mark in the title bar of any window. Seriously. :wink:

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: