WaveLab floating windows.

Any hidden shortcut how to undock current stalemate WL10 window frames
to make them floating like back in version 6 .

Montage used to be resizable, wav files movable in various sizes
able to open 10 wav files in one window etc.

Perhaps some older reverse update or plug in …

Any Idea ?

You can divide the edit workspace is tab groups, but the exact old MDI system of WaveLab 6 is not possible.

Sorry to get back to an old topic. I just switched to windows 10 and I’m trying to get get to grips with wavelab 10/11, coming from wavelab 6. It feels like such a step back usability-wise. No more floating resizable windows, no more empty workspaces, no more easy dragging/dropping selections between files… Editing and comping radio plays, interviews, podcasts, educational audio and so on with many open wave files has become virtually impossible.

Wavelab 6 works on windows 10, but it’s not ideal, f.e. it only accepts 32 bit vst’s.

Can I make an enhancement suggestion to bring back a simple basic wave-editing workspace with free moveable resizable windows?
Best, Peter

I think you need to give WL11 a bit more time, since this is simply not true. I do this type of work regularly and have moved along with WL versions. Is 11 different than 6? Ofcourse! Is it better? Yes, absolutely - in many many ways. But you can’t expect being used to a version of years and years ago and then flawlessly switch to the current version.

My suggestion was an empty workspace with independent floating reizable windows. There is definitely use case for such a feature.

Your suggestion was that current WL makes your work impossible. That is not true.

I’m no programmer, but following the development of the various WL versions, I think the concept of multiple floating windows will not fit in the current design. But there is only one person that knows, and he already spoke in this topic…

@petervanrees … perhaps you could explore tabs as the non-floating equivalent. The use of a Project can also help with WL opening with a blank workspace etc. It’s been some time since I used WL6 but WL11 is so customizable that if you invest a bit of time getting to know it, it will reward you and my expectation is that you will find a comfortable almost-familiar workspace.

Note that you can do that in WaveLab 10/11 (+ have this in multiple file groups):

1 Like

Hi PG,
Thanks for your reaction! That looks like a viable alternative.

sorry to bother once again, but this file group thing is quite daunting. Let’s say a want a file group with 8 or 12 or whatever wave files open in the same window, stacked like in PG’s screendump. How to do that?

Clicking the little arrow next to the “create file group” plus sign offers only 6 templates with a maximum of 3 files at once.

The documentation and youtube are not very clear about this.

You create a pane by clicking on these buttons. But there is a limit of 4 panes. But you could have several file groups, each with 4 panes. But yes, you can’t display more than 4 panes anytime.

Thanks, PG, great support!