Wavelab generated Wav files

I’ve been making vinyl side continuous wav masters with track markers in the wav files for some time, thinking the markers might be of some use in a program that can read them. But I’ve only just tested it, and find they don’t appear to be readable in Pro Tools 10 or in Reaper. Am I missing something or is that just the way it is? Also, is it true the markers are written in a RIFF “cue” chunk?

I’ve also found that when opening any Wavelab 8 generated wav files (with no metadata or markers) in Pro Tools 10, the message is given “filename.wav must be converted to be used because it is not BWAVE/AES31 compatible and current application preferences require that it be.” This doesn’t happen with Wavelab 6 generated wav files (with no metadata or markers). If I add a bwf preset when making the wav file in Wavelab 8, then Pro Tools doesn’t complain. But I wonder what the difference is in the Wavelab 8 vs. 6 files. Of course the preference can be changed in Pro Tools, but the default preference is BWAVE/AES32 compatible to add a file directly to a session.

Markers are written in the RIFF way, if the following option is checked:
2014-08-26_08-46-38.png
Now, maybe Pro Tools and Reaper don’t read RIFF markers.

Concerning the Pro Tools message, I don’t know. Make sure to uncheck the option “Create Optimized audio file headers” (same picture).
(and maybe RF64 option too).

Thanks PG. I’ll try that. I’m surprised this isn’t used in more programs.

No combination of “Support RF64” or “Create Optimized” in Wavelab 8 makes any difference. Pro Tools still displays the message.

My Wavelab 6 settings have always been RF64 and Create Optimized “On”, but the Wavelab 6 files don’t generate the Pro Tools message no matter what settings used. Were the Wavelab 6 files always getting something bwf in the header, even with nothing filled in?

The only way I could make the Pro Tools message go away with Wavelab 8 files is to make the Wavelab 8 files with a metadata preset like BWF UMID + USID.

Where is this setting located in Wavelab? I can’t seem to find it.

Audio File Workspace > Options > Preferences

Thank you, I was looking in the montage section. So this marker setting would not apply to a file rendered in the montage?

It would be a useful feature to add CD track marker info to continuous WAV files rendered from the montage. For example, when I render a continuous file of the whole montage for an entire side of vinyl from the montage, could those CD track markers be added to the file?

It would be a useful feature to add CD track marker info to continuous WAV files rendered from the montage. For example, when I render a continuous file of the whole montage for an entire side of vinyl from the montage, could those CD track markers be added to the file?

This is already possible if you activate the option in the Render dialog.

Ah, I see it now, thanks! I think the word “copy” is different than what I was looking for but it makes sense now. Thanks.

I’m going to continue to put the markers in the vinyl sides, but it does seem a short list of programs that can read them. Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, Triumph. Any others I’d be interested in knowing. It looks like this has been a feature request at Pro Tools, Reaper, Audacity going back years, but not implemented. It would be nice if they revived those requests.

I would imagine the vinyl masters are played back in any number of programs. Probably Pro Tools. And all of the mastering programs, Pyramix, Sequoia, Soundblade, Sadie. Don’t know if any of those support the markers though.