Wavelab Pro vs Elements

Hi,

I currently have Nuendo 11, and use it for both recording and mixing, and while I am aware that Wavelab is a mastering application, can it also be used for mixing?

If so, can both Pro and Elements be used to mix?

I looked at the feature comparison, and I am aware there is a difference in track count but it’s not clear in regard to supported formats, i.e., wav @ 24 bit, which is a requirement, as my website where I upload is able to consume 24 bit audio and I never use MP3 or other lossy formats.

Cheers

Hi

Technically, the answer is ‘yes’. But in my humble view there are better applications (including Nuendo) than WL for true mixing. Personally, I would not like to mix 128 tracks with limitations on sends, returns, no VCAs, no full automation, etc. in WL. The non inclusion of Nuendo/ProTools Ultimate mix features is not an oversight … WL is built to do what it does for a specific user base.

Others may have a different view, but you don’t typically see WL as a primary mix DAW in mix studios and there’s probably a good reason for that.

Thank you for the reply.

I like Nuendo because I can export a .xml archive and import it to specified tracks, which is a major time saver so if that wasn’t available in WaveLab, I would be rather less interested.

Saying that, what is the situation with sends, are you able to set up routing in a similar way to Nuendo/Cubase, in that there are FX/Group tracks or similar?

As for automation, does it at least do basic volume automation, in a similar way to Steinberg DAW software?

Also, I don’t suppose there is any kind of Video support as well.

I will probably continue to use Nuendo 12 for mixing, now that the licensing is sorted and I don’t need to carry a dongle around in my pocket, only to be broken when I take a seat!

I am a bit reluctant to say whether it could work for you or not (although my feeling is ‘not’ since you are describing a real mix/post scenario). Maybe get the WL demo and check it out.

The short answer to your other questions is probably ‘no’ … at least not in the sense of your Nuendo experience and the flexibility that this brings.

WL does handle video but not in the way that Nuendo … which is at it’s core an audio post DAW … does. I haven’t tried, but I doubt there is a way to conform or import an EDL.

I make the comment that I did try and do a basic mix for video for a friend (I only do mastering these days) in WL 10 and gave up pretty quickly.

‘Horses for Courses’ as the English say.

Seems ill-equipped for the task, unfortunately.

At least, with dongleless operation now possible, I can use alternative machines more easily than in the past.

Thank you for the information!