We want the buttons back!

Why are people tying this to Nuage? I don’t get it. What is it that Nuage needs that negates the buttons we speak of? The whole point of the control surface is that you look at it instead of your screen, as you fiddle the knobs and sliders. It doesn’t care if a “button” is visible or not. Press the button on Nuage and software responds, regardless of whether you can see the corresponding parameter on screen or not.
Two GUI versions of Nuendo? You thought “leap-frogging” was bad now?[/quote]

We have several mixer views, already. This would just be another one… a more agreeable one…
No leap-frogging there…

No tying it to Nuage… For me, just a thought … a straw I cling on to, so I can still hope
and believe in the mental health of some software designers of a company, known to us.
Idc, if Nuage needs something GUI or not… or touch screen layouts, etc.

Big K

s

Bring the buttons back +1000

+1

So… I came here hoping to find out if I could separate the meters from the control room, too much switching back and forth to do a simple monitor switch, but let me say that after one film mix in v6.0.5 it’s back to v5.6 for me. As much as I like the new limiters and expanded eq, I dislike the interface more, with the Control Room being the most frustrating of all. I simply can not trade the loss of session efficiency for a few new features. I will continue to check back with each new update, but my confidence in the product is slipping.

To sum it up:

1. Bring back the old control room interface or something similar.
  2. Separate the meters from the control room, they are not mutually exclusive.
  3. Give us a simplified mixer display, eliminate the racks. I don’t want a whole monitor just for my mixer.

And the wish list that has existed since version 1 (I’ve been a user since version 1) seems to never be addressed.

+1 on the buttons.

I will be very surprised if anything major changes in N6, but by the time N7 comes around Steinberg will probably realize that they will need to do something to stop non-Nuage users from jumping ship.

I hope I’m wrong and the necessary changes are made in N6. In the meantime I’m staying with N5.5.6 and SB get no more money from me.

+1

for me as well.

I started using PT11 more and more and once UA finally releases their AAX plugins I will switch completely unless N6
becomes usable again.
The Mixer is driving me crazy, too much detective work when we should be focusing on mixing

I find it interesting that the name “Yamaha” hasn’t come up in this thread. If only Yamaha wasn’t the taskmaster here…

Count me in as having put N6 on the shelf till things change for the better. I’m glad that people have gotten over the novelty of the new mixer and are seeing it for what it has been tailored for.

It’s pretty clear that what IS needed is a bifurcation in the code: Nuendo + NEK + NUEK (NUage Expander Kit). If you don’t need NUEK you don’t pay for it. And the rest of us get a mixer we can handle comfortably with a mouse, keyboard, and the usual cast of remote devices. Not that I liked the NEK idea at all, but if they’re going to start splitting up feature sets, adaption to specific hardware would seem like an important addon that only people with the hardware should pay for. Unless, of course, there are ulterior plans for this strategy (Nuage Micro? Nuage LE? Nuage Cloudbank™?..)

I really am hoping for the best, but somehow I don’t believe a software split in the codebase will come to pass. Historically, Yamaha has been a very stubborn independently-minded company. For now Steinberg still seems in charge of their software development (thank goodness) but it does seem that they are being pushed in a direction they themselves may feel somewhat apprehensive about.

This certainly would explain the silence we are hearing so clearly…

Very well put.

This is all very worrying (particularly as there seems to be little or no comment from Steinberg).

What are the alternatives? - Should I be looking at ProTools as a replacement ?

I’ve been with Steinberg since the very early Pro-24 days and always automatically updated with each new release, until now. I’ve already decided not to buy any more Steinberg hardware since the MR816 direct-monitoring debacle (I originally bought six of them when they were first released as I believed that coming from the same manufacturer as Nuendo the integration would be perfect!), and at the moment can’t quite bring myself to upgrade from Wavelab-6 to Wavelab-8 even though it does come with a user manual, unlike Wavelab-7.

Same her: I used Steinberg Cubase from its MIDI seq days and have bought SB software like V.Guitarist/Bassist, Surround Bundle, Mastering Bundle,… and Dolby Decoder… a.s.f.
All gone for good…
Also, WL 7 is hardly being used here due to its weird structure. So WL 8 upgrade ist out…
And now, Nuendo 6 and the usual Head in the sand tactics from SB… Will Nuendo stop here for me, too?
This is the best way to loose a lot of trusted Customers.

An answer like: you old B’stard will get used to it… it stays as it is… would at least show us the
respect of an answer on this Button/ Mixer / CR desaster.
In essence: quite a few Nuendees will look for alternatives…and there are a some.
Even cheaper ones…
SB this is no behaviour! Stand by to your work or admit mistakes. Don’t be such Weicheier!

Big K ( knurrr…)

I just opened N5 again. Wow! It felt so much like home, I had to apologize for ever leaving her for N6. Lol. It was really nice to be able to see my mixer. If you haven’t tried it, you should. You may find yourself, like me, putting N6 back in the janitor’s closet.

Not that I know one way or the other, but if I’m right then it’s not a matter of courage, it’s a matter of survival. Employees generally don’t talk badly about their bosses in public, particularly if they plan on keeping their jobs.

• “Yamaha Corporation, how may I direct your call?”

I’d like to talk to someone in your Steinberg software division.

• [Pause] “I’m sorry, there’s no one here called “Steinberg”. Is there someone else you’d like to talk to?”

No, I’m not looking for someone called “Steinberg”, I’m looking for the division of the Yamaha Corporation that is administered under the name “Steinberg”, the people who make Cubase and Nu…

• “Just a moment please…”
    […retro cool jazz plays…voice over:] "Our latest cutting edge music software development package, Cubase 7, offers you the latest in forward thinking workflow and project organization for your most demanding audio projects. And every busy post-production professional must experience our new Nuendo 6 and accompanying Nuage control and automation system designed for quick and efficient work on the largest post-production proj…
  • “Yamaha Corporation, how may I direct your call?”

Sure, employees are generally not entitled to render any statements about or on behalf of their
companies unless authorized.

Well then, Steinbergers, look out a lucky wiener to post an official statement.

JoDell19:
I just opened N5 again. Wow! It felt so much like home, I had to apologize for ever leaving her for N6. Lol. It was really nice to be able to see my mixer. If you haven’t tried it, you should. You may find yourself, like me, putting N6 back in the janitor’s closet.

+1 … My thoughts exactly…

Big K

Did a first long film mix in nuendo 6, the people next to me started laughing when I was searching for the right mouse-over-areas everywhere…

I’m back in PT and N5 now, the only thing I miss there compared to N6 is the loudness-track. That is a great tool.

+1 here.

Also, we need a button to open all plugin interfaces at once per channel.

Double clicking on the insert space provided results in sometimes bypassing the plugin, sometimes opening the preset browser, and sometimes nothing happens at all, because the plugin was already open behind other windows and then it closes (wrong behavior), so it seems like nothing happens. (Which doubles the amount of clicks needed.)

It shouldn’t be this hard or time consuming to open the plugins on a channel.

So that’s +1 for the

Plugin On/Off button
Plugin Bypass button
Plugin Edit Button
FX - Pre-Post Fader Button
and
Open all plugins loaded on a track button.

I’m not a “update/upgrade now” guy. Since steinberg announce and release Nuendo 6, and after i read about the changes in this version, i wanted to see the opinions before i made the upgrade.
I’m a nuendo user since the first version. And, for the first time, after to many years, i don’t want to make the upgrade… My clients like me and my studio because of my speed and efficiency in my work. Thats why they chose me, not other studios. I have my studio full until the end of the year, and i don’t need to waste time, and make fool of myself in front of my clients, searching for the button, or the menu or whatever.
Sometimes developers forget some simple laws for people that have a studio!

FIRST OF ALL, We don’t need stupid updates and upgrades. We need a DAW, first of all that works stable. It’s horrible to have errors, crashes, restarts in front of clients. They are there to record, not to see your computer crash.
And off course. If i’m recording a live gig, i need a DAW that records the gig… I can’t stop a live show because my DAW decided to crash because the update, function, driver poop or whatever…

SECOND, some of us started to work on a analog mixer. And what an analog mixer have on a strip channel?
Gain, Phase, phantom (not needed on a DAW, of course), hi pass, low pass, insert On/off and pre or post Eq bottons. Next - 4 band - Eq - Highs ( Q, gain and frequency), High Mid ( Q, gain and frequency), low mid ( Q, gain and frequency) and Low ( Q, gain and frequency). more Bands are allways welcome. Next - Sends - For any send we need gain, PRE and POST fader botton and On/ Off button. Then Fader, On/off, mute, solo, etc… It is basic right?? Don’t mess around with the basics! Keep it simple. We don’t buy DAWs or mixing desks because of the lights or for it’s beauty… We buy it, first off all, because it works.

THIRD, On a studio session, we start miking the band, setting the monitoring, then making gains for recording and at the say time do what a monitor engineer do on stage. Making a mix that the musician feels good and comfortable.
A musician won’t be able to make is best performance if is isn’t comfortable. The control room was a very well thinking idea, but sometimes we need to mix more than 4 musicians on a studio, you know?.. This is a professional DAW, remember? Not a “4 member garageband” DAW…
So, alot of us use Gui interfaces, and one of the best things that live digital mixers have, is an option call “sends on fader”. The main control room window have all the options that i need but the mixer don’t needed that crap “send for monitoring”… I need to push a botton that says " drummer", or " bass player" or whatever, and the faders that i use for mixing, could be used for monitoring. Have you tried mixing, the limited 4 member band, with the mouse with that crappie “send”???.. Individual Pan and stereo or mono mix option, absolutely necessary! Good call.

FOURTH If you make an update to make my DAW faster, make it easier to work, more stable, more options that make my work sound better, something that help me being faster, make me good figure in front of my cliente, etc… Great, they are welcome! PLease, just don’t make a new release to make me feel like a stupid in front of a client, like making me use a stupid “search box”, or use the F1 botton, or searching for a button that you decided to change from is normal place. To my clients “this is not possible” phrase it’s not an option. This could be be for you too. And off course:…

Pre-post fader send is ESSENTIAL… Being able to bypass, turn of a plugin is ESSENTIAL.

Thank You

Márcio Silva

An official word from Steinberg would be nice at this point…

+1 You have my vote for sure!

Nuendo carries with it a pretty hefty surcharge for its pro features and designation. I agree with the sentiment here, but it seems the answer is ‘user configuration options’. I’ve always thought we should get a little more for the extra up front cost … Surely creating a comfortable custom, GUI environment isn’t un reasonable? AFter all ,everyone’s pro workflow is going to be different … Different on every job if you ask me!

If Nuendo 6 has been built to accommodate the Nuage … Then that’s a problem for almost every user who isn’t ever going to use one. Most of us I suspect…