Weird issue with Macros that can't be deleted (solved)

Hello,

I have a couple of macros that can’t be deleted. I can delete them in the Key Command settings, but after restart, Nuendo has re-added them again.

Even manually deleting their entries or all traces of them in Key Commands.xml in settings folder will re-add them when restarting Nuendo.

Deleting the Key Commands.xml will remove all macros and key commands – except those that refuses to be deleted.

Any suggestions? Anywhere beside Key Commands.xml where macros are stored?

Nuendo 12.0.40, macOS Monterey (no traces of any fixes in the changelog for newer versions).

It’s extremely weird. I’ve now gone through all .xml-files in the ~/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 12. Manually deleting any trace of the macros. I’ve used Visual Studio Code to go through all the files. Still, these macros (7 of them) are re-created upon restarting Nuendo.

Even trashing the entire preferences folder will delete all settings, plugin settings, etc. BUT, the macros are still there.

What the hell is happening?

What macros are we talking about? Is there anything special about them compared to the others?

The settings are also saved under :
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Nuendo 12_64\Presets\KeyCommands

Thanks for reply.

Can you please list the contents of the Nuendo 12_64-folder? I’m on macOS, I need to compare if it’s the same folder.

I removed the entire (what I believe to be) equivalent ~/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 12-folder (that contains the Presets-folder), and even after that, all shortcuts and macros were gone, EXCEPT those 7 macros.

It started with me renaming the macros since I needed to re-categorize them. After renaming I restarted the application, in which I now had the renamed version, and also a copy with the old name that refuses to be deleted.

There is nothing special about them, no common link that I can find. And I renamed 100 other macros that didn’t behave this way.

As I say, I’ve gone through all settings files in the entire settings directory with the application closed. Manually removing all traces of the macros from all .xml-files (only present in Key Commands.xml). Upon restart, Nuendo re-creates the macros and injects them into the Key Command-file again.

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were using a Mac. (Although you mentioned it above.) :woozy_face:
According to this article, you have chosen the correct programme path.

There are “Key commands (current)
Username/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 12/Key Commands.xml

and “Key command presets
Username/Library/Preferences/Nuendo 12/Presets/KeyCommands/<preset name>.xml

Did you remember to quit Nuendo before editing the XML files? It sounds like Nuendo still has access to the old files, since they cannot be deleted.
Okay, I guess you did:

Strange that it doesn’t work. :thinking:

Thanks, yes, I even quit Nuendo and restarted the machine before editing the .xml-file, in case there were some memory or cache stored somewhere.

So seems like a quite complicated bug then. It has to get it’s info from somewhere, but I wonder where…

I suppose they are generated along with all the other pref files when the sequencer is initialized.

Is it these? I believe they are included in Nuendo itself.

If those aren’t the ones you refer to, do you have older Nuendo versions prefs in ~/Library/Preferences/ ?

1 Like

Ahaaaa, they are FACTORY macros. That I didn’t know. Then I suppose there’s no issue in this case.

Thanks for the insight!

1 Like

That’s why I asked in my first post:

Damn, I should have stuck with it until I got an answer. :wink:

But it is good to have this cleared up. :+1:

2 Likes

I had actually created my own “Duplicate Selected Track without Data” without knowing it existed since I don’t use any of the factory macros at all, so I just counted on the fact that I created all of those macros. I was not even aware there were any factory macros. So my bad for not checking that :slight_smile:

No accusations. A software as comprehensive as Nuendo will surprise you, even after years, with things you have overlooked or never used before. :smiling_face: