Well done, Dorico

It’s very easy to become blasé about the help that software tools give us, but I still get giddy as a schoolgirl about what Dorico does.

I’ve just completed my fourth opera score: 90 Flows, 200 pages, completed in a matter of months (which also included creating a music font, Christmas, “home schooling”, audio mixing projects, and knocking out a few other choral works…)

Well, OK, I haven’t actually finished, but I’ve got all the notes in. And because Dorico is so amazing, it will literally take me an afternoon to add a few Breaks and Spacing Changes, insert some Master Page changes, and create a Table of Contents.

Then it’s a handful of prelims in Affinity Publisher. My Editorial Notes are just my exported Comments.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but if I was using any other notation app, there’s no way I could have done these big projects half as easily. (In fact, the first one sat for 10 years as a bunch of separate Finale files, while I considered the tedium of how to put them together.)

Yes, there are still more things I’d like it to do, and a few little annoyances: but I prefer to dwell on the positives, which outweigh anything else by 14.51 tonnes.

15 Likes

I am of exactly the same opinion. The concept behind Dorico is best I had the chance to work with. Most of the annoyances from Sibelius, Notion, Finale and Overture are addressed here in smart ways. If only all of them worked as intended…
But, being 3.5 old Dorico is still in its infancy, so one day, probably soon we will have it all working.