What about multiple cores MAC systems & Cubase 6 ?

I didn’t find clear statement as whether the new Cubase 6 properly manage multi-threading and multiple core systems, especially regarding the 8 cores Mac Pro Nehalem (which I own). Anything about it ? Any links or information available ? Thanks

BUMP

Hello,

all the optimisations have been made with the Cubase 5.5 update. Hyperthreading is still not supported.

Cheers,

Chris

Thats bad news for me! Was hoping that C6 would see a performance boost so projects can be run at lower latencies.

So, to my opinion, this version doesn’t deserve the 6 naming, it should have been 5.6 or 5.8 but not 6
Instead of providing further cream, Steinberg should have had dealt with systems performance.
From that point, I will not go 6 for the time being I’m afraid…it’s kind of a head wreaking nowadays that a so said professional piece of software doesn’t pay further attention to multiple cores systems… :frowning:

:unamused:

Disappointing…

Can see no reason to stress out completely about looking at C6. As a N5 user, I am watching this forum with interest, and it is sobering reading.

Give it about a year before C6 is really ready, by which time it will be C7. This seems to be the cycle here. Just when things are ABOUT to look good, the rug gets pulled.

B

Does that mean it’s simply not utilized? Or does that mean there’s actually a performance degradation with hyperthreading?

On PCs the BIOS usually has the option to disable hyperthreading but AFAIK on the newer Mac Pros, they simply all ship as hyperthreaded models and that can’t be changed.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/hyper-threading

Contains description how to disable HT on Macs.

My i7 MacBook Pro gives me enough juice for now but I was just wondering if this will be added in a future Cubase 6 release. A little extra power never hurt anybody :slight_smile:

Technically speaking I don’t think it can really add any benefit to Cubase. It already has its own multi-core handling engine. Hyperthreading is not adding processing power, it’s just allocating it differently - and I think the way it does it, it conflicts with ASIO performance.