What am I doing wrong setting these note colors?

Yet another noob question. I thought I got this but it’s not working the way I expected . . .
I have an instrument track which I set to MIDI channel 2 . . .

. . . and in the Key Editor I set my Event Colors to “Channel” …

… and I set my channel 2 color to

… a sort of pale green But the notes are still RED. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You have Note Expression enabled on the Key Editor, therefore the colors look this way.

You have Note Expression enabled on the Key Editor, therefore the colors look this way.

No I don’t.

When you enable Note Expression the notes get paler as shown in this screenshot where I really do have it enabled. Recently I was trying to find a way to turn off note labeling and one trick some people here use to do that is to enable Note Expression, but the way it changes the appearance of the colors is a turn-off for people who’ve tried that.

So there must be something else I’m doing wrong here.

Hi,

Sorry, you have…

You didn’t read my reply carefully. In the second image it IS turned on as I said,

When you enable Note Expression the notes get paler as shown in this screenshot where I really do have it enabled.

In the first screenshot it was not enabled. Note the difference in color. The notes are red whether note expression is on or off.

Hi,

To me it looks like these Notes are at Channel 1, therefore they are red.

What does that mean? I set the track to Channel 2 as you can see in the OP. So what else do I have to set?

Hi,

The track is set to Channel 2 (probably), but the individual Notes in the Key Editor are set to Channel 1. The track settings overwrites the individual Notes Channel. So to the output, it goes at Channel 2.

Read: Info Line (steinberg.help)
and
Editing Note Events on the Info Line (steinberg.help)
and

Event Colors Menu (steinberg.help)

1 Like

Excellent - that did the trick . Thanks!

…now, is there any way to keep the Info Line up there all the time? Even though I have “Info Line” checked in Set up Window Layout, sometimes it’s there and sometimes, like in this screenshot, it’s not.

1 Like

At least one thing has to be selected for it to show.

Hi,

The Info Line is there. But no object (Note or MIDI CC) is selected (as it is written in the Info Line), so no parents are down in the Info Line.