What an absolute confusing disaster this new forum is

I used to visit the Steinberg/Cubase forums almost every day. Then, the transition to the awful new forum began. It is SO unclear what is going on, I’m never here anymore.

The old forum was simple and clear, but this is a mess. How on earth are the people at Steinberg supposed to see whats going on in the community, when everything is set up in such an opaque way?

Rant over.

6 Likes

:+1: thanks for sharing

2 Likes

I’m glad I’ve given it time. I much prefer the functionality of this new forum. I was definitely a bit :face_with_raised_eyebrow: to begin with, but it’s always a bit like that with change sometimes. I think this is a move forward. I now find it easier to find and respond to things, quoting etc and love the live editing preview. Search is way better too.

1 Like

yes, plus you get an email notification in the same century as the updated thread !

But it’s less functional. The previous forum was nice and simple - a design where text was the most important element. Now, it’s a clunky mess with bad readability, and loads of wasted space.

2 Likes

I disagree. It’s at least equally functional.

I prefer the new way of quoting, of getting a side-by-side live preview of my posts, of copy/pasting images, of scrolling with the slider to the right (web browser), and more.

Maybe. It looks better on mobile though for me.

I really think you just have to bite the bullet and get used to doing things differently and it’ll maybe grow on you. I’m frickin’ old and managed to power through this change… so…

3 Likes

Aboslutely agree, this new forum is a complete mess. I was active daily before, now not anymore.
The forum how it was before was set up like literally every other forum on the internet, easy, organized, everything was clear on first sight.
This here is completely confusing, visually and how it works, and I worked years in the IT sector, with multiple forum and ticket management systems. It reminds me of those tools, we luckily never had to work with.

Instead of clicking through clearly organized subforums, like on literally every other online forum, you now have to use these tags. There is no structure anymore and finding threads again is much more cumbersome.
Yes you can search for multiple tags, but its far from intuitive. There are some new features which are nice to have, but why change the entire forum system?
This is not just subjective. From the IT point of view, this was absolutely no good idea, because:

1. This is no forum standard
  2. Steinbergs customers were used to the old forum structure, which was just fine. Changing it from the ground just created unneccessary confusion
  3. Its really hard on the eye. Too much contrast (well ok, this could also be subjective)

I’m not a fan of doom scrolling. It would be nice to browse forum posts in the traditional manner. But, hey, form over function.

2 Likes

I always had issues finding stuff in the old forum but was just used to it as had been on it for years. When this new forum arrived I was a bit taken aback for a while, but now I find it infinitely better in so many ways. I would absolutely hate to go back to the old forum now. It was a bold move of Steinberg and they took the criticism well. Well done to the team involved in the transition from the old to new :slight_smile:

Maybe it has nothing to do with the new forum, but since it went live, the Made With Cubase (now-sub) forum is almost dead. I think quite a few contributors never found their way in. I would have thought that particular (sub) forum was important for Steinberg because it fostered discussion about how they made music with Cubase, and it provided examples of what was being created with Cubase.

To be honest, though, it’s been a very long time since that particular (sub) forum was vibrantly active. There was an awful lot of amazing stuff posted there. The contributors either died or went somewhere else. I wish they had told me where they went, but maybe that was also by design!

Latest made-with-steinberg topics - Steinberg Forums

Yes, I know where to find it. I’m one of the active members.

There’s a Made With Cubase / Steinberg Forum? I didn’t know that. It’s not obvious from the front page. But, hey, form over function…

On the old forum I never looked at that section at all - it was an out of the way, never visited cul-di-sac. But because of the way Discourse works I check 'em out all the time now.

2 Likes

This new forum is a dysfunctional cluster-F. It’s a sloppy disorganized mess that is completely out of sync with every other normal forum out there.

Way back, I used to visit a lot. Then I got busy and paired back a little, but still visited a bunch. After this version came out, I basically gave up. I spend most of my time at Gearslutz now. Or Gearspace as it’s been renamed so people don’t get offended.

-Tom

2 Likes

I noticed that now many forums are switching to this format. It also doesn’t seem very comfortable to me, but it looks modern.

I’ve just returned to this forum after about 1 year away. I originally posted the same (bad) thoughts about the layout etc. No matter how many times I use it I can never get use to it. This is a mess.

It sucketh and always will. No one cares what you think though so you are in great company

@steve Why was this thread unlisted? No criticism allowed?