What are differences between HD files and Lossless?

To my understanding, if my connection is stable enough to stream it lossless into my project directly, then it’s not necessary to record anything on the performer side. Is that correct?

I have artist colleagues who are amateur and I don’t want them to configure anything on their side, plus I don’t like the concept of the feature because it’s an extra process which means extra thing that can go wrong (the program itself is already way too complicated), so I haven’t try it yet. If I can expect even better quality using HD files then it might worth trying. Thank you in advance.

With lossless, you don’t need Get HD. The latter however is initiated from the Studio side, and thus doesn’t require any action or understanding on the Performer end.
If you find it too complicated, pls let us know what and how you would like it to be improved. There is the one-stop “Create VST Connect”, and “install and run” Performer application. Audio connections need to be set up, and even that can be done remotely for the Performer in the Studio plugin. What are you missing?

1 Like

Thank you. I just finished recording at low bit rate (using 128kbps, 4 seconds delay is almost stable on her wi-fi connection), and get HD files once completed. Not sure why it didn’t work yesterday.

Below are my comments about the program:

1. I had trouble disabling the video. I turned off my video source by pressing F8 and also the Mute button of the video track to save the bandwidth, but the artist said she still can see the video. I don’t want to waste her time so I decided to record with the video showing. It will be great if we can disable/enable it conveniently.

2. I don’t like the layout of volume controls because I’m not familiar with Control Room, dim, cue, etc. even talkback is new for me (I believe many home studio users like me don’t care, because everybody hears everything using hardware monitoring) so it took me few hours to make it work. It might be easier if all levels are controlled with faders. For example; group them to two sections, on the left side is for me to hear (my own voice, the backing track, the input(s) from the artist), and the right side is for the artist to hear (artist’s input, backing track, talkback from the studio). That’s straightforward, and no need to share controls with the Control Room. I believe most users who are too lazy to read the manual will be able to configure everything without watching guidelines on youtube (like me).

3. The metronome and my talkback were not sync with the backing track fed to the artist. So I can’t help the artist by singing the right melodies, counting in, or give any audio cues. (To my understanding, this is a technical limitation due to latencies). I work with 6-13 years old kids, so this is really important.

4. VU meters on faders doesn’t match with the audio levels recorded on my side. They seemed to be much lower than the actual levels.

5. On wi-fi connections, even at the lowest bitrate, it’s not as stable as Skype or other communication software, and the delay time was HUGE. So, it should create a mono connection by default instead of stereo, that will save half of the bandwidth and solve half of the problem. Another idea is; we can work on very low bitrate like Skype, then the software can sync HD file one by one as we stop recording. Since it takes just few seconds to transfer and most of the session time are for talking, not actual recording, so I believe if it’s possible to sync automatically, most users will use this feature so we won’t forget to copy files (again, like me).

Those are naive opinions from a home studio user and I’m certain some of them are not considered issues from the perspective of software engineers. But if any of them are fixed in the future then it worths my time. Thank you in advance.

Makes sense. Will check that, nobody does it :slight_smile:

That’s how recording someone next door has been done since almost 100 years now, for good reason. It is a different situation than just recording yourself, from recording somebody else in another room or place. The Control Room is specifically tailored to that kind of operation, and it makes sense to use it for that.

You can, use the “Rehearse” button. You cannot record though while using this function (it would be out of sync).

There are 2 meters, the orange ones show the actual input signal and clipping. Check the “RECORD” section at the top of the Performer Mixer. The faders show the Performer Monitor, while the dials at the top are related to what you hear and record. Check this for more details:

It is explicitly not recommended to use WiFi. This is neither Skype, nor a jamming tool. The delay while in stop mode (“Chat mode”) is usually not very different from Skype and the likes, but for recording we need buffering. When you start a Netflix movie or similar stream, it takes up to 10 seconds to buffer. We can’t afford that amount of time.

That is not the case, in fact, for a mono signal sent over the stereo compression it practically makes no difference. Coherent stereo signals also take much less than 2 times mono. Also the bandwidth is fixed, so there is no difference at all. Bandwidth is almost never a problem, the quality of the connection is much more limiting (packet loss).

But that’s what it does, no? I see the idea of “automatic Get HD”, but that may cause problems when recording, especially for longer takes, as the bandwidth is then limited. It is more convenient to simply Get HD after all is recorded.

Thanks for your input. We will check 1., at least :slight_smile:

1 Like