What backup software do you use?

Hello fellow Mac Cubase Pro users.

What software do you use (Mac OS El Capitan) for backing up your audio hard drives? …not just “Backup Project” in CB. Back in the day, i used Norton Utilities to defragment my audio drives and i had something called Backup Utility that did synchronized backups. Like to know what many are using these days that is very stable and reliable for backing up to other drives. Not really interested in anything cloud storage-wise though. I’m a bit superstitious.

Thanks in advance!

Carbon Copy Cloner is the best I found - it’s fast, has lots of options, and will save replaced files in a safe bin if you want.

Goodsync.

It’s very reasonably priced and well worth the cost. I’ve tried nearly all solutions on Mac, PC and Linux. Goodsync just gets everything right, and I’ll never look back.

It’s simple to use, but also goes deep when needed.

Of course if you’re cloud-free, it requires at least one other computer to backup / sync / mirror to. I recommend a hybrid approach. More on this in a bit.

It’s available for Mac, Win and Linux and even works together across a mixture of OSs. It even has iOS and Android support for mobile.

It works without any requirement of the Cloud or internet. It does have a Cloud connection option to help find computers across disparate networks, if desired, but it’s completely optional.

It’s extremely robust and uses true “block-based delta” which means it’s able to sync segments / portions / blocks within a massive file (like audio or video) without having to re-copy the entire file. Only the parts of the file that have changed. This is great for the studio / DAW environment with large audio files.

It has options for automatically syncing one-way (a backup), two-way (a sync).

It’s smart enough to deal with complex chains of computers all syncing with each other, and avoids “cascading” sync issues by automatically pausing the sync or backup job on some of the computers, so they happen in the correct order to ensure conflicts and missed files are avoided.

It also has very advanced conflict resolution options.

It can do the sync/backup automatically on file change (not the option to choose if recording, of course), or on a schedule, or manually.

It has advanced ways to filter what gets synced / backed up. E.g. you can omit files that are temp files, etc. Same with skipping certain folders, etc.

You can create any number of “jobs” so that it can, say, automatically backup on file change, a certain folder, for one job. Another job can then work as schedule-based. This is great for doing things like auto-syncing a mixdown folder to another computer, while still keeping the DAW free of file-change backups in most areas.

It will even do the backup sync using FTP, if you have an internet server. This is great for collab projects. Or client access to files. Or client upload of files (for example a mastering engineer). Have the files the client uploaded to your webserver auto sync to a secure folder on your hard-drive, automatically.

It’s easy to exit out of it completely without pesky background services running, if desired.

And here’s one very cool feature for the DAW environment: Since you can freely choose which computers host the “jobs,” and since the heavy lifting is done on the computer(s) that hosts the jobs, you can configure it so that the DAW is free from the heavy lifting (i.e., DAW not hosting the backup jobs). This results in the least amount of CPU burden on the DAW.

In fact, it’s so good, you could probably sync on file change, even during a recording on not get audio dropouts. I wouldn’t recommend this though, but just emphasizing how much CPU is offloaded on the DAW by configuring it this way. And of course, if you’re using scheduled or manual backups, no CPU is used when it’s not backing up / syncing.

As for my “hybrid” approach, here’s what I’d strongly recommend…

Use Goodsync (or something similar) to do a cloud-less backup to a computer on your network.

Then, backup the backup (to the cloud).

By backing up to the cloud, your backup, you avoid the issue of the lengthy and CPU intensive processing happening on your DAW. It also allows you to reboot the DAW or even power it down, while your mirror is happily backing up online. The end result is that your files get backed up faster (no interruptions).

A true backup solution is one that is backed up in at least two places.

As for which cloud-based backup service to use to back up your Goodsync mirror (if I’ve convinced you of this), is Crashplan. I’ve used most of them (Mozy, Carbonite, Backblaze) and Crashplan is my favorite. No limit on how much you can backup, either.

I actually lost nearly everything, once (before I was creating local Goodsync mirrors) and Crashplan online backup brought everything back.

Final bit of advice, on Mac especially, I would make a bootable backup of your OS, on an external drive, using “Sync Pro X” or Carbon Copy Cloner.

I dont know anything about MAC’s, but cant you create a RAID1 on it?
You’ll never have to bother creating or updating your backups for it being done the moment you press “save”.

DTS:

I use SuperDuper on my Mac system. It works well. Very robust and easy to use. After creating an initial clone of my main drive on another mounted disk, it does incremental backups from that point on unless instructed otherwise. Depending on workload, I’ll back up daily or weekly.

Just something else to look at for you.

…unless of course you want to revert to a previous version.

RAID is not ‘backup’.

On macOS for personal use, the best backup solution is Time Machine.

Connect suitably sized backup drive or connect network volume, turn it on, and forget about it.

True, in a way. It’s an exact mirror of drives, so basicly, it still is.
But using a backup instead of Save New Version to revert a previous version seems a bit inefficient.

RAID (apart form RAID0…) increases data integrity for sure, however it is not considered ‘backup’ in the IT industry as it only protects against limited number of physical drive failures rather than keeping multiple copies of data.

Sure, ‘save new version’ is a valuable tool (which I myself take advantage of for every save) however what happens if you forget to use it, or your computer / RAID array is stolen or your studio burns down?

macOS supports backing up via Time Machine to network volumes and servers which can be in remote locations, and backup drives can be removed and kept in a safe place.

I simply use Time Machine - works fine for me.

Agreed on the studio fire or theft, good point.
Regarding Time Machine, OP stated he is supersticious, so I dont think a networked solution is an option.

That’s the one I use too… And it works good here. :slight_smile:

Another major issue that RAID will not protect you from is filing system corruption.

Long-time user of Carbon Copy Cloner.
It can be set up to backup internal and external drives.

I do manual Time Capsule backups of my main HD, but for several other drives which see daily/weekly use, I use Data Backup. I maintain at least two, cloned long-term archives as well as two + one off site for active projects and current year archives. This product handles it all flawlessly in the background. AND very reasonably priced.

https://www.prosofteng.com/data-backup-software/

I used Retrospect for over a decade (good product) however, it’s a bit overly complicated IMO.

Im always using syncing.net tool for backups and data sync on my pc’s via my local network. The other reason, why I’m syncing.net this sync software is because of the reason, that its also an outlook sync tool, that providing full support of email backups and restoring.

I use a syncing program to put the project directory to the server than it gets backup to CrashPlan…for the os drive I use aome to do a drive clone usally every week or if I install something,what’s good about that if something happens to the os drive I can pop the clone ssd in a dock and boot up and boom up and running