What basic computer will run Cubase LE?

don’t worry Wildschwein I see I have to use the R8 in connection to the Cubase LE and down load drivers for both. I will try this first. Cheers funny how reading the manual helps!

Hi Nicos,

Sounds like you’re getting some stuff together.

You can download everything via the download assistant. I am still learning Groove Agent myself but there is an online manual here:

If you are using the latest version of LE the manual is here for that:

You do have to choose the audio driver when you first open up Cubase and it will probably be named meaningfully by Zoom:

Thanks for your help you will get a shout out once I finally get some thing out. LOL cheers

1 Like

Hi folks! I amazingly am in the same situation! I purchased and recorded an album live with a zoom 8 about 15 years ago! We downloaded it to Pro Tools. Now, all these years later, I’ve been recording song on the Zoom and want to use Cubase LE 4 which came with the zoom. But instead of using a desktop, I’m wondering what laptop PC would work well with 4. And a question for Nicos: What Windows are you running? I think it was 10? And once again, where to find the manual? Thanks for any help!

There’s no way to know without trying if a Cubase version that old will run properly on Windows 10 and 11 today. LE 6 will install and run on Windows 10.

Hi Wildschwein. Thanks for getting back on this post. It reads like Nico is using Windows 10 upstream in the thread? And it reads like he was able to access the program? I’m interested in getting a laptop. Any help with that would be great…

I ended up talking with Nicos in Souncloud later on. He made some cool music actually. He wound up using Reaper with a desktop HP machine (HP Z230 Workstation Tower Intel i5 4590 8G 500G DVDRW Win 10 Pro) because I think he didn’t like the learning curve for Cubase or couldn’t get it working – or had lost the licensing info. Either way, he ended up making music with Reaper on Windows 10 not with his old Cubase program. I believe he had Cubase 9 LE.

If you want to install an old version of Cubase LE so you can upgrade to 12 you could take the chance on a newer machine and see if it will install on Win 10 or 11. In that case, you are best looking at recommended laptops for DAWS for which you can find loads of good recommendations online:

Or budget options as per your “basic” request:

For laptops I personally prefer HP ZBook machines. For mobile use I use a HP ZBook G2 15 with three SSD hard drives fitted and 16GB of ram. I have a more powerful desktop system though.

Cubase 4 was released in 2006 – so you are dealing with something that won’t have been compiled or tested to run on modern systems, although Windows does have a legacy install feature if you right click on the installer:

Wow. Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I’ll just buy 12 elements. 99. Can’t beat it and easier than noodling around with old programs. Yes, was checking out the HP Zbooks. Thank you for the recommendations and input!

1 Like

No problems. You can often find HP and Dell laptops etc on eBay second-hand from professional resellers who offer some sort of warranty. It’s a good way of picking up something decent a bit cheaper.

thanks again!

1 Like

Hi @themushroomsbolinas,

just for the record:
I’m running various generations and variants of Cubase on the same Windows 10 (Pro) machine, among them also Cubase LE 4 (for testing purposes and older 32bit VST plug-ins, including the two available service updates by Steinberg).

So, Cubase LE 4 does indeed run without bigger problems, but might behave strangely when stuffed with newer VST plug-ins, Steinberg’s as well as those by third parties. Also, I don’t know if Steinberg still offer the free upgrade to Cubase LE 12.

However, the acquisition of Cubase Elements 12 would certainly be the better choice.

Cheers,
Markus

1 Like

Thank you Markus!

1 Like

Say folks, While I’ve got you. I just downloaded the trial version of 12 elements. I am at download assistant page. I have activated it on the activation manager. I have downloaded the required application and the recommended downloads. Now how does the program start? It’s just sitting on the download assistant page.

Hi @themushroomsbolinas,

from within Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA), you can either install Cubase Elements 12 directly to harddisk / SSD, or you can just download the installer package and install it later, manually.

The miniature menu is in the upper right corner of SDA’s right window zone, one menu for each item. It gives you the following choices: Install, Download, or to open the download target folder.

After installation, you should have a number of Steinberg-related Windows start menu / desktop links. One of them should be named Cubase LE AI Elements (you can of course shorten that link name by removing the “LE AI” part, since those are the two minor non-retail versions - the installer’s the same for all three versions).

Cheers,
Markus
Reference:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360017146019-eLicenser-Steinberg-Download-Assistant-guide