What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Noob here. I was trying to import a MIDI file into an existing project, The only instrument I had open was the Pianoteq VST. It asked me “Do I want to create a new project?” (no) . I selected the MIDI file from the dialog, and did Open and I got this . . .

What is the stuff in the blue outline? How do I get rid of it? Right clicking does not give a Remove Selected Tracks option (even when it’s selected) like it does with the Pianoteq VST. And where are the MIDI notes? (I would like to import them into the existing instrument of my choice)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

It seems, your settings is to import the MIDI File to one Rack Instrument (this is the thing, you can see in the blue square) and MIDI Tracks.

To get rid of it, remove the Instrument from the VSTi tab on the right side of the Project window.

Hi
As Martin said
you can find the import midi file settings here
Edit > preferences

To get rid of it, remove the Instrument from the VSTi tab on the right side of the Project window.

How? When I right click on it there I get the popup menu shown here, and it doesn’t have an obvious removal featrure. BTW this is the same menu as I get if I click on that instrument at the beginning of the Timeline. I also tried just highligting it and hitting Delete but that did nothing.

Just click on the name of the rack then select No VST instrument
xx

1 Like

As Martin said
you can find the import midi file settings here
Edit > preferences

The choices on the Destinations are MIDI tracks, Instrument Tracks and Halion Sonic SE multi-timbral. The latter is apparently the default because that looks like what I got originally. If I choose either of the other options I get what’s outlined in blue, except that if I pick “MIDI Tracks” I get a MIDI symbol instead of an instrument symbol seen here :

So what are those? They look like instruments but what instruments are they? Even with monitor turned on for everything there’s no sound when I play them. What I wanted to do was import the MIDI into my Pianoteq piano.

If you want to import a midi file to your Pianoteq track , drag and drop it to your Pianoteq track “in the project window”

1 Like

It’s an instrument track but not specified
You can now select what the instrument you want from the inspector menu

1 Like

If you want to import a midi file to your Pianoteq track , drag and drop it to your Pianoteq track “in the project window”

OK that sounds like a good work-around but does that mean I can’t do it through the File>Import menu?

It’s an instrument track you can now select what the instrument you want from the inspector menu
So it’s like a generic instrument track, or an abstract class of an instrument? It becomes an actual instrument when you assign an actual instrument to it? OK I think I’m getting the picture. Thanks.

OK that sounds like a good work-around but does that mean I can’t do it through the File>Import menu?

No you can’t

Yes exactly :+1:

1 Like