What does the 3 diagonal marks next to the VST Instrument...

Hello this is my first post. I’m a Pro Tools man but can’t say no to the expression maps anymore, besides Avids priority is to the engineers not the midi composers, and I’m not an engineer.

So first question what does the 3 diagonal marks next to the VST Instrument under “VST Instruments”? (F11)

Thank you.

Welcome to Cubase…!

The hash marks designate the version of the VST framework the plugin adheres to. Two marks means it is a VST 2.x plugin, three marks means it is a VST 3.x plugin. Steinberg updated the VST specification a while ago, bringing it to 3.0 – which adds some additional plugin functionality – so you could consider the hash marks a subtle form of marketing :slight_smile:

Despite the new specification being out for a while, and several obvious benefits (see below), only a few plugin manufacturers have actually started building 3.x plugins. I assume this is due to their having to rewrite their existing code…? Not sure how labor-intensive it is to take a plugin from the 2.x spec to the 3.x version!

Anyway here are the benefits of the new framework if you’re interested:

Cheers,

meta

Awesome answer thanks Meta.

So obviously I should go with the VST3 because more features are availibe to you should you be in need to use them, but I can only choose either Vienna Ensemble Pro with the 3 marks(VST3) or Vienna Ensemble Pro x64. So which one is more desirable because there isn’t a VST3 Vienna Ensemble Pro x64.

I thought two slashes meant a 32-bit plug bridged to a 64-bit host :confused: .

You’re right actually – when I go through my plugin list (Devices → Plug-In Information), the plugins that have 2 slashes are not only VST 2.x, but also 32 bit.

I seem to recall from another thread that Cubase 64 won’t acknowledge 32 bit VST3’s, only 32 bit VST2’s…so I think the summary goes something like this:

3 slashes = VST3 (and by implication 64 bit if running Cubase x64)
2 slashes = 32 bit (and by implication VST2 if running Cubase x64)
No slashes = 64 bit and VST2

Does that sound right? It seems a weird interrelationship.

So to answer your second question White Knight, the version of Vienna Ensemble Pro with the 3 slashes should be both VST3 and 64 bit…

Now here comes a mod to tell us we’re all wrong…! :laughing:

Can someone confirm what the good man Meta has said?

He’s right with one exception, 2 hashmarks is for 32 bit plugins when running an x64 version of Cubase. VST 2/3 isn’t relevant.

Can I just throw in my 2p here and say that with Cubase 6 there seem to be a LOT more cryptic icons like this. And they seem to have a penchant for changing the graphic design and placement of existing icons just because it’s a new version.

eg. the Divide Track List button moved to the other side of the screen for no apparent reason.

I understand there’s a desire to cram as much functionality as possible in a small space (good) but having to play ‘Where’s Waldo’… coupled with the fact that many of these functions -still- have no keyboard shortcut or tooltip… is a flow killer.

—JC

With a VST 3 instance of VE Pro you will be able to have 8 x 16 channel midi slots going to your ve pro server, versus 1 x 16 channel midi slot with a regular instance of VE Pro. There are likely other differences that I’m unaware of, as well.

I believe the VST 3 version of VE Pro is much more desirable, At least that’s been my experience.

Aloha and +1
{‘-’}

In some cases I agree (especially the hunt for oddly replaced functions), but in this case I completely disagree. The icons are expressive and in exactly the right spot. And, they are absolutely necessary in the x64 host. Getting an indicator that the plug-in will be bridged is excellent. VST 2 vs 3 is much less important as basically, the steinberg plugs are 3 and everything else is 2. But, I like the 32 bit indicator.