What does this error mean? (Cubase 11 Pro)

I’m working on a piece involving quite a few instruments as can be seen in the screenshot. The Groove Agent drum kit I was using lacked a certain high-hat I wanted so I opened another instance of Groove Agent with a different kit and copied the high-hat from that one into the one I was using. When I dragged and dropped it onto my kit I got the error message shown in the screen shot: “Due to missing busses HALion could not reestablish the listed connections…”.

What does that message mean?
How will this affect my project?
Why did I get a message referencing HALion copying between two instances of Groove Agent?
How do I prevent it?

There are instances of Halion in my project. The high-hat move worked fine and I’m using it in my project.

Thanks in advance.

This error message has nothing to do with Halion. It simply means it couldn’t resolve the bus routing when you swapped the pads. Most likely because one of the pads was routed to Hihats bus while the other was routed to Bus 3 (of the GA internal mixer).

Simply cancel the error message and re-check the amp section of the pads. If GA cannot resolve the routing it will use the Kit mix by default.

This drag and drop operation swaps sample pads between GA SE instances.

Open Groove Agent SE’s mixer. In the first page you can see the plugin’s internal (“Agent”) audio output busses. Related drum kit pieces tend to be routed to the same bus, for example kick samples are all routed to Bus 1, snares all routed to Bus 2…

Some presets have these busses renamed. Internally, all busses are the same, so GA can’t tell that “Hihats” is the same as the “Bus 3” from another kit. This issue is resolved automatically by the RECEIVING kit by simply retaining the original routing of the pad, but the kit you’re taking the samples from doesn’t know what to do.

If you’re not going to use the kit you’re taking the samples from in your project, you can safely just click Cancel here.

You can avoid this entirely by using the intended workflow for swapping samples: drag and drop them from the MediaBay, or by using the internal sample browser:

By enabling the Prelisten in place button to the bottom right, you can hear how the new sample will sound without making a permanent change to your kit. Much better than opening a whole separate instance of Groove Agent.

1 Like

This error message has nothing to do with Halion.

Then why does it say HALion?

It simply means it couldn’t resolve the bus routing when you swapped the pads. Most likely because one of the pads was routed to Hihats bus while the other was routed to Bus 3 (of the GA internal mixer).

What are these busses of which you speak? Apparently I need to be aware of them if I’ll be seeing messages like this, so where are they described/documented? How do I see what’s routed to what?

If GA cannot resolve the routing it will use the Kit mix by default.

What does this mean? Use the Kit mix how? All the drums in my Cobblestone3Kick seem to be the correct ones.

1 Like