What ever happened to...

Agreed.

Depends.

You can be an audio engineer without being a musician.
You can be a musician without being an audio engineer.

However, both require talent and practice.
The modern “musician” however can cheat with modern tech. So why not? It brings the money in quicker and increases your fame quicker.

So: stuff that makes you sound better?
Like EQs, compressors, and mastering? :wink:

Watch this video. It is John Williams (the classical guitarist, not the composer) playing Chaconne, by Bach.

Particulary awesome between 4 min. and 6 min. He does however have a slight pause on a chord change right at 5:50. The piece is 13 1/2 minutes long. When he does the piece on “The Baroque Album” it makes me wonder if it is truly a “pure” recording or if there was some minor editing involved? Imagine trying to record a 13 minute virtuoso piece with a purist mindset. My point is that the use of technology is really all relative. From the guy who can’t read music or play any (traditional) musical instrument making electronic music that sounds great all the way to the virtuoso using a DAW to edit the dynamics of ONE note in a 13 minute performance, it is all a continuous, linear scale.
Where do we draw the line and say, “beyond this point, you are not worthy of the benefits of this wonderful tool, which we call the DAW”?
I think it is more important to consider the purpose of the recording. Is it to showcase the talent or for the pleasure of the listener? A guitarist may not be impressed when he hears a great performance because he knows what tools are available. He would have to see it live to truly be impressed. But to the average listener who just wants to be entertained, if they like it, then the goal is achieved.
J.L.

Aloha and +1
{‘-’]

No, but it would be OK for a mathematician to be disappointed to find another person who thinks maths is about doing arithmetic. :unamused:

Shinta215 said --------- "You can be an audio engineer without being a musician.
You can be a musician without being an audio engineer. "

I’m trying to figure out what the Cubase forum members think they are. Are you musicians or engineers? Seems all the talk here is about engineering the music not creating it.

Yeah, that’s why when I count off a song with my band, I’ll always say “On 3”. :sunglasses:

Now that I think of it, Nate, I’ve heard some of your tunes and I believe you use them there ‘synthetic drum tracks’,
dontcha? What with the samples and the dots on a drum map and the quantizing?

:sniff-sniff: I think that smell I’m getting is the whiff of hypocricy. :laughing:

So are you only a purist when it’s someone elses recording? :chin:
:mrgreen:

You don’t specifically need a DAW to create music.
Staff paper, a pencil, and an instrument (and the talent to play) is really all you need. :wink:

Yep, I use a drum VSTi but I put the notes in, I don’t use MIDI or audio loops. I have a pad controller to play the parts. Again, if I pooch a take I redo it, not “fix” it. :wink:

On 3??? Is that all the fingers and toes you got or is it you can’t see through the oven mitts? :mrgreen:

You do know I’m busting your balls,I hope. :wink:

Oh, don’t worry about me. I can take it AND dish it out! :sunglasses:

Cool, Brother. You are one of the few people I respect around here. :sunglasses:

Scouts honor??! :mrgreen:

Yep

Case in point. :unamused:

Um…

Poster said he could match by ear (from a keyboard).
However, he wanted a faster/easier way to do it.
Never indicated he was a guitarist.
Poster did not say it was to compensate for a crap performance.

Hmm…faster and easier way to do things…isn’t that why DAW programs exists in the first place? :wink:

Also tell me:
You can usually pick a certain note from an instrument you’re familiar (practiced) with.
Can you just as easily pick a note from an instrument you’re not familiar (practiced) with?

Of course, this post is all in fun… :smiley:

I had to EQ some low-end into a floor tom a 1/2 hour ago and I felt guilty because I feel I should be able to get it without eq.
:neutral_face:

AND… I used a software EQ :cry:

Yep, interval training back in high school musicianship still stands me in good stead. I have A 440 ingrained in my noggin and can go anywhere from there. :wink:

:spank: :yfc: :mrgreen:

Outrageous! :mrgreen:

Come on, you should be able to achieve that by manipulating mic positions! :laughing:

More to the point, there are ways to cheat using Cubase. I doubt that I will ever feel good about using MIDI loops that I purchased. How can you call yourself a musician and songwriter if you drag’n’drop loops you purchased to make music?! Loser!

However, when I record piano performance, sure I can play flawless takes. but that many times takes longer (more practice time mostly). Am I a wannabe musician trying to make my life easier? Yeah, so what? I have no problem crossfading takes to compesate for a small mistake. No one will ever know the difference! :mrgreen: