What I Love About Cubase

When I read things like this I usually just shake my head. Why would anyone just accept things like this as how it works?

This scenario is far from normal and with absolutely certainty it has to be link with your personal environment.

Understand you are running many orchestral samples but don’t think you mentioned how much ram you had installed. Are you maxed?

For what you are trying to do you should be. A car fresh out of the showroom may make it around the track but it will never win the Indy 500.

I believe the macbook pros also use mobile series processors (I have one as well) which while they share the same names just don’t have the same performance that as their desktop counterparts. Faster = more voltage which in laptops = poor battery life so your processor is not the same as that in a similar pro.

Since its a laptop and likely its your every day machine do you have other programs open like mail when you do this or scheduled processes you don’t realize such as updates or dropbox that might run in background conflicting and stealing resources? I’d definitely look that. Its also why its a best practice to run a dedicated machines for your DAW to minimize the variables that lead to situations like this.

Clearly you suffer from something which cannot be fixed. Fanboiism.

No crashes here.

Not really. I use a lot of music software here. None of it crashes.
I think software may occasionally crash under certain circumstances but it is certainly a gross exaggeration and generalisation to suggest that anyone who uses any software for 8 hours a day is going to get crashes. This is simply not true.
P.S. I use a PC.

Maybe it’s a tradeoff. My setup (16GB RAM, 768G internal SSD, 2x 8TB external RAID thunderbolt drives, 2012 MacBook Pro 15inch Retina, RME Babyface USB) works very very well as long as I freeze some of the most demanding plugins, but it crashes every so often. I never lose data because I have auto backups. It never happens during recordings because I always bounce all tracks down to stereo to cut down on VST CPU load.

Very occasional crashes that lose no work are really no big deal. Assuming it’s the ‘limitations’ of my laptop, in return for this minor inconvenience I get a super-portable, very powerful studio that can rest on my MIDI keyboard, using my iPad as a second monitor. Using a retina display is very easy on the eyes (apart from the fact that Cubase still isn’t retina-ready). And call me a fanboy, but the very neat GUI design of OSX just makes you feel better while you’re working and I should know I used windows (XP, Vista and 7) for 10 years. It’s like the difference between having natural light and trees outside your window and a car park full of broken bottles. It’s just decoration, but surround yourself with calm and beauty and you relax and become more productive.

So, I’m not about to go out and get a PC tower and giant monitor and spend all day looking at badly designed icons just to avoid very occasional crashes that lose no data.

I’ve always used powerful desktops in the past, it’s not like I have no experience of this.

IMHO

:slight_smile:

All my DAWs crash under a stressful workload, so I’ve passed the blame onto plugin manufacturers. So far, Cubase has been doing just peachy with tons of audio tracks and VEP plug-ins, and the constant crashing I used to experience without a remote host is gone.

My first rule of project survival: make your workstation platform as stable as possible by whatever means and handle all the heavy lifting elsewhere.