What is ASIO Guard?

Just the opposite: “The rest” was to confront the issue of “what is ASIO Guard” that you keep conflating with the “when it mattering.”

We have both agreed with what it is and how it works, all along (the facts).

We disagree about when it matters (our differing opinions).

That’s all cool. I was happy to “agree to disagree” with the importance of when it matters.

But you had to go and throw in a “wrong and misleading” part, several times (with zero evidence).

Since you did such a convincing job, to a casual reader, at conflating ASIO Guard latency with Input / Output latency, I felt it was doing injustice to the OP’s question on a thread entitled “What is ASIO Guard?”

No one is believing in the data reduction fairy (I’ll spare you the logical fallacy reference today :slight_smile: ).

We’re both saying the exact same, accurate, underlying thing of how it works.

If your goal is to conflate ASIO Guard latency with Input / Output latency (with screenshots, no less), then I think there is now enough information on this thread to allow people to come to their own conclusion that they’re actually different.

1 Like

So if someone isn’t using ASIO Guard and the buffer is set to 256, all tracks are automatically adjusted to that set buffer. If I understand it correctly, on a large session when ASIO Guard is enabled and the buffer is set to 1024, it reduces the buffer on a record enabled Audio/Instrument/Midi track to prevent the user from hearing any latency when playing?

In regards to automation, some say latency is inevitable. But isn’t ASIO Guard suppose to prevent latency from occurring when riding a fader on a specific Instr/Audio track?

Also when should someone start using ASIO Guard, when the CPU gauge is reading near 75% +/-?

I know that in Pro Tools, even if your buffer is set to 256, all tracks play back at 1024, except the record enabled track which remains at 256. I think Logic works in this capacity as well. Is ASIO Guard the equivalent?

I’m trying to clear the muddy waters a little.

1 Like

The waters aren’t muddy. Your PT description is correct… your first paragraph is backwards

A clearer way to say it is if ASIO Guard is OFF, the entire project runs at whatever buffers/latency you set your audio card to.

If I understand it correctly, on a large session

large/small is irrelevant. If ASIO Guard is on, it adds buffers/latency to all non-monitored tracks. The amount is determined by the low/medium/high that I showed in the pictures above.

when ASIO Guard is enabled and the buffer is set to 1024, it reduces the buffer on a record enabled Audio/Instrument/Midi track

This is kind of correct …
If your buffers are at 1024 … ASIO Guard will be running all of your non-monitored tracks at some multiple of 1024. When you click monitor, it will run the monitored tack at 1024. 1024 is actually quite high buffers and will b e very noticeable latency for tracking.

In regards to automation, some say latency is inevitable. But isn’t ASIO Guard suppose to prevent latency from occurring when riding a fader on a specific Instr/Audio track?

This is incorrect, read the extract from the document I posted earlier. Automation issues are one of inherent downsides to ASIO Guard.

Also when should someone start using ASIO Guard, when the CPU gauge is reading near 75% +/-?

You should always have it on, unless it causes a problem.

I know that in Pro Tools, even if your buffer is set to 256, all tracks play back at 1024, except the record enabled track which remains at 256. I think Logic works in this capacity as well. Is ASIO Guard the equivalent?

This is how ASIO Guard works, other than there isn’t a “fixed” increased buffer number, you can choose between low/medium/high. And the low/medium/high is based on a multiple of your base buffers instead of just a fixed 1024.

2 Likes

Good stuff, JMCecil. I think this will benefit those who have ASIO Guard questions.

2 Likes

Brilliant! increasing ASIO guard has stopped the constant drop outs I was getting!! Now I can focus!! Thank you!

1 Like

What are “realtime” and “non-realtime” tracks?

i could never get my head around something to do with ASIO guard …

I can’t understand how the tracks wouldn’t sound out of sync if they are playing back with different latencies??